Alternative to apple external superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by UKmacman, Nov 17, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

To be honest it does not look the best and I don't care about matching the style of the air as I will only use it from time to time at home to burn DVDs etc. So is there a better (and cheaper) choice made by someone else? If so what would I gain/lose by doing this?

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

3. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm sure you can find cheaper

But I doubt you find one that looks better (these are really sharp looking)
    Or one that is thinner (it isn't much bigger than a small stack of DVDs and fits in my portfolio)
    Or necessarily better (this one has done all I have asked and more, much faster than I thought)

4. macrumors 6502

You can build your own - they sell Apple Superdrive-esque chassis/cases on eBay and then you can add a DVD/Bluray slot drive into it.

I'd recommend getting a blu-ray drive these days as it gives your laptop more functionality and there is software to read/write to them and they're about £70

5. macrumors 6502

I used (and still do) a cheap-off-eBay Blu-ray reader/DVD-RW combo thing. It was less than £40, Panasonic mechanism in a plastic box. Used it on my Macs, on my HP Microserver, and on my little Lenovo.

6. macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, or bluray drives as well. Most of them can write a DVD, just make sure the one you get can do so as well.

7. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Xbox 360 hd drive tenner from gamestation

8. macrumors 6502

I was looking at this - you can play HDDVD using it too but you can't use it for burning DVDs so for an extra £15 you might as well buy a portable r/w

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I use my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, works a treat!

Like a bosssss