Alternative to FileVault?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Unspeaked, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Hi there,

Does anyone know of anything other than FileVault that can be used to encrypt a user's home directory?

Thanks for the help...

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not that i know of...

but perhaps if you said what you didn't like about FileVault or what level of privacy you are trying to accomplish or why you want such privacy we could help with other alternatives instead of an encrypted home folder

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'm just looking for something that isn't tied to the local user's password.

I'm researching a solution for a company that uses server authentication and rotating passwords, which would cause problems with FileVault whenever the passwords expire, since FileVault would still be looking for the previous password to unecrypt on login...

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Won't that mean that the User's home directory would be on the server? The local user's password won't authenticate anyway.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Unfortunately TrueCrypt hasn't been ported to OS X yet - it's probably what you're really looking for.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Free, very secure, Open Source and runs on most every platform on Earth
    www.gnupg.org/
    gpg is a general purpose tool so you have to thnk about how and when to run it possably put something in .login or run a cron job. Depends on what you need..

If the file server is Linux here are a few options
    http://koeln.ccc.de/archiv/drt/crypto/linux-disk.html

7. itistoday macrumors newbie

Yes, recently released, Espionage should be what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: I'm the author, check the link in my signature. You can try it out for 14-days for free to see if it suits your purposes. :)

8. priller macrumors regular

You bumped a 2 year old thread just to try & sell your program?

9. itistoday macrumors newbie

I was searching on google for a specific page (using the search string "alternatives to filevault") and noticed this thread on the first page results, and so knowing that I had a very good answer to Unspeaked's question, I replied.

Considering the date, I probably should have PM'ed him (or her), but I didn't look at it. :-\

10. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Then why is there a .dmg for Truecrypt on their website?

11. itistoday macrumors newbie

Maybe it wasn't ported 2 years ago when that post was written? Look at the havoc I've created! :p

12. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I've been using PGP Whole Disk Encryption for since about August with no problems. It's part of the $83 PGP Desktop Professional or you can get it for the $120 as a stand-alone product. Yes, the stand-alone price is higher.

13. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Apologies.. it would help if I checked the damn date of posts before being a wise ass !!