Alternative to Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by powerdave, Nov 19, 2004.

1. powerdave macrumors regular

Hey all,
    Finder is adequate but I just don't find that it provides enough customisation, and I don't really like the way it organises files. I'd really like to be able to cut (Cmd+X) files, I think it would make moving multiple files much easier.
    So anyway, on my quest I've found Path Finder, which I like a lot but I find it consumes a lot of resources (to the point that it makes music playing in iTunes jumpy on a 1.33Ghz PB with 768megs of RAM).
    I also found Macintosh Explorer, but I like this one the least, even though it is lighter on CPU usage.

Are there any other alternatives to Finder around?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Wait a few months for Tiger (10.4) and use smart folders and Spotlight. If you're looking for 3rd party apps to do basic things like the Finder, IMO you're going down a rat hole.

3. zen_state macrumors member

I mean this in the most respectful way... put down the crack pipe! ;)

I think the panther finder is elegant

btw, you use quicksilver? that will change the way you open apps files and bookmarks. try it if not already.

4. powerdave thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I love Finder's simplicity for most of the time I use it, but certain things kind of bug me. Maybe its just a hack or add-on I need, and not a replacement ;) For instance, I find the way it organises my files and folders just seems messy- I'd like to keep the files together and the folders together as opposed to just listing everything alphabetically.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Many people are used to that style from Windows.

In the Mac Finder, you can't get that same ordering, but you can get something vaguely similar by sorting your folder by "Kind" to group all folders together. But then all other types are grouped too (all PDF Documents, all Plain Text Documents, etc.). Within each of these groups, files are alphabetical.

You can even mix the sort orders. In Icon View, set a folder (using View -> Set View Options) to "Keep Arranged By Kind", but leave it sorted by name in List view. Since "Folder" (starting with F) tends to sort near the top, you can see your folders by clicking the Icon View icon and by name by clicking the List View icon.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I can't stand the lack of organization options in both column & list view (Arrange is greyed out) - anyone known if this is improved in Tiger?

Also there should be an option for turning off QT preview of movie files - while still having the info of preview show for other files (and how about fixing the annoying sound when clicking on QT files with preview on).

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I like 3D OS X, a great Finder Alternative, but not quite a replacement. Awesome.

TEG

8. powerdave thread starter macrumors regular

I'll admit that it's from Windows I'm used to the structure, I find it a bit more logical.. its one of the only things I find hard to get used to under OS X. Thanks for the tips though- I remember initially there were a few quirks I thought I'd never get used to and now I can't stand having to go back to the old method (I keep Ctrl+Clicking on things when using Windows laptops!) I even have a 2 button mouse that I never plug in.

I also miss the tree-structure of the hard disk from Windows Explorer too though. It made moving files around the disk simple. Also, is there a way to enable "cutting" files?

Also since I'm on the college network the whole time, the whole Network area could do with displaying a bit more information.

9. BeoVir macrumors member

if you look in the preview pane that pops up you will probably notice a little triangle in the top left corner of the QT preview. If you click on it then the QT preview collapses. This maybe what you are looking for.