Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
There is an alternative, but I can't remember the name of it :(

It's not "Popcorn", but something similar.

Edit: Popwire.

Edit 2: Hmm, "The Popwire WMV-9 Component will no longer be offered effective September 13th. We will continue to support existing customers. You may purchase Flip4Mac Windows Media 9 Components at the Flip4Mac web site."

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
perian does do WMV, maybe not WMA. But hell, just convert that sh*t. Alternatively I tend to use VLC because it boosts the audio much better than quicktime does. I have a MB and the sounds is really crap untill you use VLC!

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
perian does do WMV, maybe not WMA. But hell, just convert that sh*t. Alternatively I tend to use VLC because it boosts the audio much better than quicktime does. I have a MB and the sounds is really crap untill you use VLC!

I want to watch streaming media in WMV format

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I want to watch streaming media in WMV format
WMV is not a format; it is many formats and implementations. To use VLC, you need one of the nightlies. The release version doesn't yet do it. Flip4Mac should play all formats up to non-DRMed WMV9. Some implementations of streaming Windows media can be played only using Windows Media Player 9. A lot of TV stations setup their streaming videos this way. Nothing on the Mac plays DRMed Windows media.

If you have a question about a particular site, you need to give us a link. Otherwise, we can only guess about the reason it does not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.