Alternative to HandBrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MattG, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've got a DVD that I've been trying to rip to a movie file for the last three days, and have so far been unsuccessful. (and before anyone asks, it's a non-copyrighted DVD that our company has the rights to) What's happening is it gets 99.5% done ripping, then it just kind of sits there for a while, then the program closes. I end up with a movie on my desktop that isn't playable. I've tried on two different computers, ripping to two different formats (MP4 and H-264). I've tried ripping it directly from the DVD, and also ripping the DVD to the hard drive first and then creating the file from that. It does this every time, and I think it's just HandBrake being flaky. The DVD itself plays fine. Anyone suggest an alternative way for me to do this?

2. Bakey macrumors 6502

Hey there MattG,

Could I ask what it is that you wish to achieve once you've ripped the DVD? Your answer could determine the best route to choose over HandBrake... ;)

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm looking to upload this video to our streaming server. I'm ultimately going to convert whatever the program gives me to a MOV file, and upload it to the server so people can watch it over the Internet.

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

try ripping another DVD to see if it is the program or if its the DVD

ie. if the other DVD works than its your DVD, if it doesnt, its the program.

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

It doesn't happen with other DVDs, but there isn't anything wrong with the DVD. It plays just fine all the way through.

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If it is not copyrighted, then maybe it is not encrypted as well. In that case you could just copy the VIDEO_TS folder over to your hard disk and maybe use ffmpegX to convert .VOB file to something else.

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Than it is your DVD if its only that one... sorry :-/ but try burning another copy, or use MactheRipper or something than handbrake

8. Lebowski macrumors 6502

anyone got a different DL site for MtheRipper? i tried 4 different places last night, and all were bogus files.

9. Gfivea macrumors newbie

burning disc images

i have some home videos i edited with imovie and burned with idvd. I want to make copies of my dvds, but i deleted the files a while ago. I just have the dvds as the source.

is there a program to rip a disc image off the dvd so i can just make an exact copy, menu and all. I tried with mactheripper, but it just gave me the video itself. I want an exat copy of the dvd.

any thoughts guys!:confused:

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Disk Utility should be able to do that for you. Create a DMG image from your DVD and burn from that.

If that fails, create a new CD/DVD master disk image file and simply drag over the contents from your DVD.

B

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Alternative to Handbrake for Mac?

I am seeking an app like Handbrake (paid or free) to convert my ripped DVDs (Video_TS files) to iPhone/iPod Touch compatible. I am using Handbrake now but it takes FOREVER (over 1 hour) to convert a movie and it's processor intensive.

Thanks in advance.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Video conversion is processor intensive and can take a while.

You won't find anything that uses less CPU and takes less time.

13. celticpride678

Any program that will be ripping DVD's or converting them is processor intensive and will take a long time. Unless, you have a Mac Pro:p.

14. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Thanks for the merge. Note to self, search first. :)

Anyone tried Wondershare DVD Ripper Platinum? Claims to be super fast.

15. celticpride678

Like r.j.s and I said, no matter what the application claims or what it does, it will always be processor intensive and will take a long time. No matter what. Just use HandBrake and take the hour to do something else.

16. rackalamb macrumors newbie

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure about the others, but MacTheRipper will not make an iPhone/iPod compatible version of the DVD.