Alternative to hotmail?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by inlimbo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Ive had my hotmail account for 4 years now but I want a new address. Are there any better alternatives out their? gmail?

Hotmail has always been pretty crap but its a bit better now. Their junk mail filter catches almost everything. Although it does often catch things that its not supposed to - which is annoying. Further I get stuff from websites I subscribed to years ago.

I want something thats not going to get flooded with junk mail and something that I is nice to use. I also want to be able to use it with Mail. What do you guys use?

I could spend a heap of money on .Mac and get a new email account with Apple but I dont really wanna do that.

Thanks in advance
    inlimbo...

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

gmails the best but you need an invite.

Works w/ mail i'd assume as it has full POP access.

can't go wrong w/ Gmail

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Gmail is nice and easy to use. :)

And if you need an invite I have 50. :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gmail all the way

and again, if you need an invite, just PM me with your address and i can send one out

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

I have both a Gmail and a Netscape mail account that I use for stuff that I don't want to use my "real" address for. I've had the Netscape one for years but will probably phase it out in favour of the Gmail one just for simplicity....oh yeah!

8. Lau Guest

I use Fastmail.fm (except I use fastmail.co.uk, you can choose from a few). Seems really fast and excellent, in fact I paid $14 to get the enhanced account. It works seamlessly with Mail as well.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    gmail is good; check out the pay it forward thread if you need invites (unless you already have some with all the offers)

yahoo is pretty good to, they have good spam filtering

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I agree with the other replies ;)

Gmail is king 1GB and it's free...if you get an invitation PM me if you need one ;)

11. firewizard macrumors member

gmail is great! i also use the there FREE pop service works seamless with mail and also outlook.

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i liked fadmail.com --- i use to use it as online document storage so that i could access it anywhere incase something happened to my hardcopy -- or if it was a major project that took me several days or even weeks to complete and for some reason i had a major system crash

13. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

Gmail...And i you need an invite just pm me your address :)

14. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

gmail is really nice because you can get your email on multiple comptuers... i use it in Outlook on my PC, Entourage on my Mac, and the mail app on my Pocket PC and that way if i'm away from the Mac i have it on the PPC, and if I'm away from the house i have it on my PB or PPC... and its pretty seamless from what i've seen so far...

15. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Took ur advice and got me a gmail account. Couldnt get the exact address that I wanted but I got something pretty close. Just got set it up in Mail.

Cheers
    inlimbo...

16. Palomino macrumors member

Gmail is good. Lack of folders takes some time to get use to, however the lable system takes care of this to some extent. Spam filter is excellent.

Cheers
    Jordan

17. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

One final question.

Do guys bother setting ur gmail account up in Mail? Or do u just check it using ur internet browser? What do you finds more efficient? Im just trying to organise my life because im hopeless at that type of thing.

The search things and conversation views sound great, but I will lose that if I use Mail. But then again its going to take me a little while to fill my new email account up with messages.

Cheers
    inlimbo...

18. Palomino macrumors member

Like the google search page the gmail loads very quickly, even on 56k. As such I find using the web browser to view Gmail just fine.

Jordan

19. russed macrumors 68000

russed

like everyone else has said here - gmail.

alternativly if you fancy getting something apple like - get .mac and you get several other things with it also!

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've set it up in Mail, using it just as any other account... my only wish is that GMail starts supporting IMAP instead of (just) POP, so I could really use the 1GB space in an efficient way...

21. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I've been using Hotmail for about 5 years and I've kept every one of my personal emails (no chain letters, junk mail, etc.). The sheer amount of personal history stored within makes signing in to my Hotmail account a lot like entering some kind of shrine :p.

Anyway, I don't particulary want to lose any of these emails as they document some important moments in my life, so, is there anyway I can get a GMail/.Mac/whatever account and transfer the 500-odd emails from my Hotmail account? Or am I just gunna have to let go of the past?

Tim.

22. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

I feel the same way. Im sure u could easily import them. But I want to start afresh and get a new email address thats not overflowing. Gmail will be great for you because you can easily search your millions of emails. Im not going to import my old hotmail stuff to my new gmail account. Im just going to keep the hotmail account for sentimental reasons :eek: . Ill try and keep tabs on my gmail account so that it doesnt get insainly big like my hotmail account. Only prob is I think Hotmail checks if u havent logged in for a year of so and if u havent it deletes the account. Maybe i will create some sort of cron job on my mac that checks it every 6 months or so. Dunno if thats possible though.

23. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I think Hotmail deletes all you messages if you haven't logged into your account for 60 days, but they reserve your address for a longer period of time and allow you to reactivate it (minus the deleted emails)... I started my account when I was young and stupid, so my address is kinda silly. I feel a little embarassed sending people emails, I'd love to be able to create a new account with an address that better suits my more 'mature persona' and still retain my old emails, even if it's just for nostelgic purposes :rolleyes:.

Tim.

24. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Doesnt anyone in this world besides me use the email accounts that you get with your ISP? WHy sign up for advertisement filled email services when you can just config your mail client and never look at an ad again?

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

People change ISP's. GMail will be with you where ever you go and who ever you're with. The text based ads in Gmail are completely un-obtrusive.