Alternative to i-installer for installing Tex-packages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jiddick ExRex, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I heard there is an app that automatically installs all packages for laTex. I use Tex-shop, and need to know which packages I have to install to make it all work.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

3. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

4. lanturlu macrumors newbie

go with TeXlive

If I were you I would go with the TeXlive installation ISO image (DVD). It's multi platform (linux, osx, windows) and has most of the packages you might need, so no need to manually install missing packages. Easy to install and they make a new distribution every year. I've been using Latex for years on many platform and TeXlive really made my life easier, it's much better (up to date and complete) than TeTeX. Get it there:
    http://www.tug.org/texlive/

5. sedi macrumors newbie

I just tried to install TeX Live but the installer aborts with this error message:

How can I fix this?

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Try the MacTeX download here. (It's pretty big).

On a side note, are you trying to install from an admin account? This is just a guess, but maybe that's part of the problem you're having.

7. sedi macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm trying to install from an admin account but I'll try MacTeX. I was just looking for TeX editor that I can also use on the Linux computers at my university.

EDIT: I just saw that it includes TeX Live, so nevermind. Thank you for your help.

8. lanturlu macrumors newbie

if you want to use the same editor in linux, you can install KDE with fink and then install Kile, the latex editor for KDE. All have to be installed from source (enable "unstable packages" in fink commander) so it takes a while to compile. I'm doing that on my mbp with MacTeX 2007 and KDE as my X-window manager that starts when X11 starts. I think that Kile is much better than TeXshop (tabbed editing, word completion, insert symbols, section view on the side, etc) if you like to work in X11 a lot.

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason you don't want to use the i-Installer? Myself, and most of the TeX users I know, are still using this, with gwTeX (based on TeX Live).

10. sedi macrumors newbie

No, there's no reason. I just started to teach myself how to use TeX. When I looked for software I ran across TeX Live 2007 and I just tried to install it according to the read me.