Alternative to iDisk?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gundam, Nov 5, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Oct 6, 2003
    I'm really keen on the convenience of something like iDisk, but I don't think the .Mac subscription is worth it. [I have no desire to start using a new email address, I carry a palm and never need to check contacts or calendar online, I don't need to make webpages with those templates and I don't think the risk of viruses is that great. As for the storage space, I already pay for a webhosting account that has a bigger storage allowance]. So is there any alternative to iDisk, besides just FTP'ing to my hosting account?
  2. macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    Just buy some cheap FTP space , or use CDs or something?
  3. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2003
    iDisk is just a WebDAV remote volume/folder. You can even trick OS X into treating your own WebDAV volume/folder as an iDisk.

Nothing magical about iDisk.
  4. macrumors newbie

Dec 20, 2003
    alternative to idisk

i'm very interested in your trick. how can i trick OS X into treating my own WebDAV volume/folder as an iDisk?

thanks for your answer

5. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2003
    Re: alternative to idisk

iDisk without a .Mac account

works just fine! You can use Apple's Backup software with your Pseudo .Mac server too.
  6. macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    i have a heap of junk PC which i've installed redhat on - i keep all my work on it so i can access it from anywhere via http/ftp/ssh. I've not tried the webdav & idisk combo but have a webdav volume for publishing/subscribing to my calendar.

Mozilla Calendar on windows works a treat with iCal!