Alternative to iOS Videos App?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jdag, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jdag macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2012
    Is there an alternative app to the built-in Videos app that would leverage Home Sharing? The reasons I ask...

1) The Videos app is terribly slow to display artwork and easily navigate with a large library.
    2) There is no search.
    3) My library does not properly display and I have to log out of Home Sharing, then back in, to get my Videos app to display properly (I've read this elsewhere, it is not just me)

I know there are other methods of accessing the shared drive, such as via FileBroweser, but that's not really a media app per se (no artwork, metadata, etc.). I can also set up Plex and use the Plex app, but that would not maintain the watched/unwatched status of my library.

Thanks in advance.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
    1, No other player is compatible with Home Sharing, not even jailbroken ones.

2, there are a lot of players capable of playing back videos over standard protocols like SBM, UPnP, HTTP, FTP etc. but most of them are, generally, plagued with a lot of problems, particularly if you want to play back e.g. MKV (or any kind of non-iOS-native, that is, non-mov/mp4/m4v) files. (See and for more info.)

3, unfortunately, none of these players can display artwork (see for more info).

You could mail the Plex devs to add watched/unwatched status support to their app? They're pretty responsive.
  3. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response...more or less what I expected. I am very familiar with Plex, so may go that route. I used Plex exclusively before deciding to convert all of my library to iTunes compatible format. I just never expected the Video app to be so...blah.