Alternative to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nukiduz, Nov 28, 2006.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi there. I'm trying to find an app that could replace iPhoto because I think it could work better for some things.
    I have like 8000+ pics classified in lots of folders where I put new pics I find. For example, I have a folder called 'Friends' where I put images of my friends. Iff I add a pic to this folder I have to add it another time to iPhoto's library and this is very annoying for me because I have to do this lots of times and sometimes I don't remember wich photos I have imported to iPhoto.
    I'm trying to find an application that could manage my pictures real-time, that respected my folders, and without the necessity to update the new pics to the library.
    I don't know if I'm asking too much but definitely iPhoto is not my app so, do you know any other one? Thanks.

pd: sorry for the bad english. I tried to do my best.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im not sure what you mean here.

All you have to do is drag your photos to which ever album you want and they are placed into the main library and are accessible in either the library view or the album you placed it into. There is only one copy of the image.

From the sounds of it you are keeping a separate folder full of the same images? Why?

Just import all your images into iPhoto, separating them into relevant albums of your choice i.e. friends, family etc and thats all you have to do. If you need to edit them or send them somewhere you can either do it directly in iPhoto or drag the image to your desktop (which will copy it, not move it) and you can do as you wish with it.

It works exactly the same as iTunes but with images.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhoto is designed to let you forget about the root folders. How about you import all your photos and, for example if you import a photo of a friend of yours you tag it with a "Friends" keyword and have a smart album that groups all the photos with a keyword "Friends" - that way you know where they are at all times.

Everything you need to do to a photo you can do from within iPhoto. Forget about folders and stuff, smart albums based on meta-data is a much easier and simpler way to manage your pics.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i agree. i think the OP is looking for something like Google's Picasa, which is WinXP-only. iPhoto is much easier to use because you can forget about folders. i think it's a lot easier if the "add pictures to iPhoto library" box is checked. that way, your pictures get automatically added from wherever they are and you can delete the extras/make copies more easily/drag and drop without worrying about losing the original.

5. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

I had to figure you would say that :eek: However I like to keep them at folders because it's an easier way to access to the original file and because I don't want to run a 60mb-consuming app that takes 10sec to open. I just want to get to my files quick with Finder and see the entire collection with another app.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On a more or less related topic, is there a reliable way to clean up iPhoto? Looking through the folders within it, there seem to be an awful lot of empty ones, redundant thumbnails, etc.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

This along with iTunes used to bug the hell out of me. Im a neat freak you see. But i never knew what i could and could not erase so I learned to live with it and now 3 years on I have not opened my Photos or Music folders since as there is no need and everything is dandy. Just let the iApps do there thing and enjoy it.

8. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Have you tried Aperture? It's much more complicated in many sections, but I think it will organize as you want it to.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not quite. It will not "notice" new files being dropped into folders: you still have to use import to add them to the library.