Alternative to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 7on, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, sorry about the accidental "past w/o body"

Anyhoo, what are some good alternatives to iPhoto. I tried iView and didn't like that too much. Hopefully those aren't my only options...

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Personally I love iPhoto but if you're really not liking, apart from iView Media, check out QPict or Extensis Portfolio but be warned Portfolio hasn't had the best of reviews. And on the cheaper side Kodak EasyShare isn't too bad.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about iPhoto?

3. sigamy macrumors 65816

iView MediaPro gets the best reviews for anything under $150.

You should probably wait for MWSF and (hopefully) iLife '05. Maybe the new iPhoto will fit your needs.

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Mainly it's just the lack of Albums within Albums sort of thing.

Though it has been getting slower as I have some 14MB tif drawings I do that seem to be slowing it down a lot.

And I peered into the iPhoto directories today and discovered that when you delete photos, it keeps the folders there.

It's just some minor nuances that I'd rather live without and believe I shouldn't live with. And I can't go back to file directory sorting because that's just plain Gross.

Maybe if iPhoto did away with the library because Photos are something that most people tend to not rename and such (music will have Title.mp3, movies will have Vacation.mpg while photos are generally DCP_1333.jpg). Make it so that importing pictures required an album of sorts. Kinda like how you have to create a new iMovie project before you can make the movie.

I might try the Kodak Easyshare app since I have a Kodak camera and generally like their stuff.

oh, and a lack of editing EXIF metadata is kinda annoying (Why would iPhoto specify something as 12-14-03 but then let the EXIF data say 12-31-69?)

5. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I use PhotoShop Elements. it has most of the elements of PhotoShop such as compressing for the Web, designing Web graphics, and other image manipulation tools. Check it out, if you find the retail price too high than search eBay and find used copies for cheaper.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hate iPhoto. I like it because it lets me view photos, but that's the only good thing about it. It's too rigid. Organizing files is a pain, as I don't want to be so reliant on the software to organize everything. I want to just create my own directories with their own names and view the photos without organizing them just by date. As if I know the date of every single event of my life, right? And when I tried renaming a folder in the iPhoto directory, none of the photos were viewable anymore under iPhoto.

Lots of alternatives to iPhoto out there, including the ones listed. iView isn't that bad.

7. betsbillabong macrumors regular

I agree. I really hate the file structure of iPhoto but haven't found anything better.

8. sigamy macrumors 65816

On one hand, I kind of hear what you guys are saying about iPhoto's strict file management. But on the other hand I don't agree. iPhoto is supposed to *replace* the Finder for your photos. It is supposed to be the only place you go to find, view, edit, print, email a photo. If you need more image editing capabilities, just set the editor to Photoshop or whatever.

Some of us may not like this total control that the software has, but most home users will praise it.

The only time I find iPhoto and it's library/folder structure annoying is when I need to upload a pic to the web for ebay. It is difficult to remember the month when you took that pic and then the day...I have to navigate thru in the file selection dialog to find the pic. But for me, this is a rare task and one that I can live with.

What else are you guys doing that you can't just use iPhoto as the single way to get to your images? You need to email someone a pic? Open iPhoto, find the pic, email it. Need to edit a pic? Open iPhoto, find the pic, edit it. For me, the only other downside of iPhoto as a Finder is the speed of iPhoto. I'd like to see an option where you don't have to display thumbnails--you could just see column view, like Finder. There would be a quick button and key combo to then switch from column view to thumbs. Basically bring more of Finder into iPhoto's Organize tab.

If you'd rather create your own folder structures and manually organize your photos then more power to you. I did that under Windows for years and I'm not going back. I think you are in the minority there and you are definetly not Apple's target market for iPhoto. That doesn't make you guys wrong and Apple right, it's just that this is a app for soccer moms and grandparents.

I'm hoping that MWSF brings an iPhoto update with more speed and nested folders. Maybe we'll see "Photo Express", a mid-range photo organization/editing app that uses more of CoreImage. But I'm sure this would annoy Adobe.

9. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Do we have any real info if iPhoto will get any upgrades for 2005?

11. sigamy macrumors 65816

I haven't seen anything yet. I'm just assuming that iLife is on an annual update basis because they decided to name it with the year in the title.

I think we'll see some updates, not sure if we'll see a new app. Is there any app missing now? I'd rather have major updates to the existing apps, including iCal and iSync.

12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

This is exactly what a WSJ article stated earlier this week when discussing photo organization software. The article talked about iPhoto and how nobody has been able to match its ease of use because one does not have to deal with the hierarchical storage system - which for most home users is asking a lot.

13. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Why can't iPhoto follow the iTunes organization?

Why can't iPhoto just copy the storage idea that makes iTunes so perfect? That way photos could might be organized by date or roll, etc and the actual folders on the disk could automatically follow, making it easy to find files directly as well as through the program. It's amazing how fluidly iTunes does this, and it's wildly frustrating that iPhoto doesn't. Particularly because all photos don't necessarily have relevant dates.
    Plus, saving all originals should be an option, not mandatory. Sure, it can help, but honestly, there is simply no need to have an original full-size copy of every photo that you have rotated. It's a dumb way to waste a lot of space very quickly. Why not give users the option in preferences? (Preferences along the lines of "Save original copies of all photos edited?" with a sub-checkbox for "do not save original after rotation.") I understand that if you edit a photo and mess up it's great to have an original to run back to, but after rotation?!?! Come on, it's easier to rotate it again that to track down the hidden original.... I seriously doubt that anyone has screwed themself over by rotating a photo and then saved the day by finding the original!

14. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I'm with chanoc on this one. I use PhotoShop Elements 2 and when my flash card gets full or when I feel the need to dump it, I just drag all the images off it into a folder called for example 20041125 inside a folder called "camera dumps" Then when I have time, I fire up PSE2 and use the file browser feature to peruse my camera dumps folder - the file browser shows thumbnails of each image and gives you info about it such as creation date etc. - and if I'm so inclined, I can select the image and work on it right there with one of the best image editing software applications available.

For under a hundred bucks, you can't go wrong.

Take care, Margaret