Alternative to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acidity, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acidity macrumors regular

Hello

Are there good alternatives (or maybe alternatives) then iTunes. But somehow I dont like the player (maybe I am used to WinAmp from Windows backgroung) - lots of its interface is quirky...and would probably like to have a look at alternatives.

Found http://www.panic.com/audion/ but its not developed anymore but might just play mp3s......

Any other alternatives that you people suggest?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

To be honest I don't understand why people don't like iTunes. I've said it before, but iTunes is perhaps my favorite application on any platform. I just love the way it works and is designed.

That said, you might look at Songbird. It's an open-source ripoff of/competitor to iTunes. Not really working too well in its current alpha stage, but it shows promise.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd suggest you really try iTunes. After looking at the latest WinAmp again, I don't understand what's quirky about iTunes but then, I haven't used WinAmp.

Do you have specific questions about how to get things to work? There are quite a few threads in the iPod/iTunes forum.

4. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Interesting.... a WinAMP user says iTunes is "quirky" :eek:

Don't confuse being different than you're used to as being bad, because thankfully in this case it is far from it.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I'm not the type to push OS X or Macs on people, or software, or even iPods...

But when it comes to iTunes...I'm sorry, there is nothing better, nothing even on the same level.

iTunes is incredible, it's my single favorite thing about my Mac, and when I see PC users using anything but, I have to point out that it's Mac and PC...

Give it another chance, you may be surprised..

7. bneff macrumors newbie

Completely off topic but... quigleybc has the best sig. i have ever seen. Your soon-to-come macbook can replace your cig addiction ^.^

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

"Alternative to iTunes" -- wow, never read those words together in a phrase like that. iTunes is the easiest to use, most powerful, database driven MP3 player, encoder, organizer software ever written.

You can't seriously think WinAmp is any good. It is the worst mp3 software GUI I've ever used.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Yes, yes it is.....that is all.

10. alveryx macrumors newbie

11. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

A simple automator script can watch a folder for you and import any music files into iTunes.

Thats one of your issues that can be sorted, at least.

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks man, that made me smile..

:)

This is true. iTunes will not batch tag from Amazon....but, when ripping a CD, iTunes just checks a database, and adds all the info you need.

But, if you're just dragging and dropping music files, then a little manual tagging elbow grease is required. I for one love tagging my files manually.

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I like this

Currently it supports the following formats:

* Ogg Vorbis
    * Mp3
    * Flac
    * Musepack
    * Monkeys Audio
    * Shorten
    * Wavpack
    * AAC
    * Wave/AIFF

iTunes would be better if it supported more formats, I'll admit that much....

15. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I listen to a lot of live concerts in Shorten... it's really useful to have Cog around.

16. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

ya Me too..

SHN and FLAC seems to be the default.

By any chance to you get your shows from eTREE ?

17. peas macrumors member

18. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Occassionally. I have a few friends that run FTP servers and such. Snag stuff from them.

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

As you have already heard, iTunes is hands down the top of the heap.

But Audion is actually a really great application. In fact when Apple was first shopping around to buy what would become iTunes Audion was their first choice as it was known to have superior sound quality.

Despite the fact that Panic no longer develops Audion is still stands up well against other players. Just take a look at the Audion vs iTunes comparison page: http://www.panic.com/audion/chart.html

I doubt there is another player that supports more audio formats than Audion.

And if for some bizarre reason you prefer the unintuitive mess of winamp, Audion and work in a way that greatly mimics that style.

20. iCe Cube macrumors regular

I have no real problems to iTunes, I think its quite good and does the job perfectly....however, I do feel like a change cos Im gettin a bit sick of the same thing for all my music. I tried that Cog, but its decent. Is there a way of maybe being able to get more iTunes skins or something?

21. skyy macrumors member

Has anyone tried using Audion in 10.4.8? It opens, but right away I get the beach ball and have to force quit. I'm curious if it's just me?

22. paintballer macrumors regular

Just give iTunes a chance. I didn't like iTunes in the beginning but since 3000/3500 of my songs are in AAC format I was forced to use it and now that I'm used to it I actually like it.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

itunes is gr8 under osx, but its lousy under windows:
    1. it has a huge download size, force u install quicktime
    2. it drag system down seriously if u have less than 512MB memory
    so if u are using windows, winamp or foobar2000 are better and easier. unless u need unique functions of itunes, such as sync with iPod

24. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Ya, I could see that being the case. I use it on my work cpu, granted I don't have nearly the same size library but I don't really notice a giant difference, except for dragging and dropping doesn't seem to be as easy/smooth

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, depends on how large ur memory is, and "not smooth" is a big problem. imagine u always get beach ball in OSX?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.