alternative to .mac (again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Oh god.

Try 50 dollars for the first year for .mac

If you guys really care this much, go down and you can have your own @xxx account, with 2GB transfers per month, 100MB of webspace, and a bunch of stuff for like 20 dollars.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

if you know someone who has a .mac account then you can ask them to add an extra email account for you for $10/year.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Alternative

If we're looking for paid alternatives... what about your own domain name?

This gives you 100% control... and you can asupport it as long as you like.

Personally, I registered my "long term email" domain name a while back... the reason is that I didn't want to become dependant on some random ISP that I might leave or some web-based email that may go out of business.

The problem, of course, is if you aren't doing any web hosting yourself, then you have to pay for that privledge as well... but I'd say it's likely that you can find cheap hosting/webmail options for your own domain.

Come to think of it... maybe I should start offering these services... :)

Would people pay $20/year for their own domain name + web email? :)

arn

5. balliet macrumors member

Re: Alternative

I'd have to agree with you there. Thats what I do. With the free/cheap webmail providers there is always a chance they will go out of business. With your own domain you'll never have that problem (even if your hosting provider goes under, you still have the name).

As for the $20/year for webmail on your own domain. That sounds like a great deal. Yahoo offers something similar for $35. I'm not sure if that includes domain registration.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Alternative

A bit hypothetical... not sure all the costs involved....

$12 for a domain from Joker.com. $7 in bulk, I think. If one has a dedicated server. and some webmail software... it wouldn't be much to get it going... but then support issues... is it worth $8-13/year? Theortically, shouldn't take much bandiwdth/storage...

arn

7. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I think that I will give .mac a try.
    I have the feeling that Apple will put some nice extra features just after the trail period is over. (just a hunch)

If it's not all I hoped, I'm outta there. and will use the ISP services, and buy some virus protection.