Alternative to photoshop cs2?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jonknox, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Jonknox macrumors member

is there a good cheap or free alternative to adobe photoshop cs2 kinda like the gimp but it seems it is not ready for 10.4 osx yet?

2. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

i dont believe gimp works with mac os 10.4 yet

all I see is for 10.3

i try to run gimp it says x11 needed so i try to install x11 but it says a newer version is already on the harddrive

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just tried the Fink version of gimp, it's working fine under Tiger.

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you want ease of use go with Elements... GIMP is for geeks... ;)

7. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

yea i cant figure out how to install but i know if i got installed i could use it!

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well GIMP.app shouldn't be too hard to install. Just make sure you've installed X11 first. :)

I just think lots of things in GIMP is much less intuitive than in Elements. The menu layout and the whole GUI "feeling" is just plain wrong. ;)

9. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Not really a true alternative, but good for photo manipulation - graphicConverter.

dave

10. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

well as I said before I tried that but when i install x11 it says a newer version already on my hardrive but when i try to install gimp it says i need x11?

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you have the X11.app in /Applications/Utilities/ ?

If so try starting it up, and then try installing the GIMP.

12. kamper macrumors newbie

That X installer doesn't work for Tiger (as you've obviously experienced :p). There is a good installer on the system disks but it is not in the same place as it apparently was previously (I'm a new mac owner and I had a fair bit of trouble getting X going). You could browse the cds looking for the installer or wait until I get home where I have a link to the hint that told me how to do it ;) Or maybe someone else knows exactly where it is.

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

GIMP is free for a reason, it is missing a lot of very basic features. Give GraphicConverter a spin.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you kidding? What features are you talking about?

GIMP is virtually as powerful as Photoshop, with more or less all the same features, just that it's a pain to use compared to Photoshop, and especially Elements.

15. pna macrumors 6502

Yes -- this happened to me to, and there's another thread about it in these forums. All you need to do is put in the tiger dvd, double click on the icon that says something about 'install extra packages', or some such (there aren't many options so look for the one that looks like it makes sense). Then you'll have the option to install X11 from the tiger DVD. This one works fine. The one on the website is horridly out of date.

16. drison macrumors regular

drison

Yes, GIMP, despite its UI shortcomings is a very full featured image editor. It has a lot of cool filters too.

As far as Elements, if you are doing light home photo editing, it's probably okay but I wouldn't use it for creating ui prototypes for a website, for instance.

-Dave

17. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I don't know, the last time I tried it (about 2 years ago) there were some real basic things I was trying to do and could not find any way to do them, mostly with text. I remember it having virtually zero kerning control and no ability whatsoever to adjust spacing between characters and specific text selections. Its font handling seemed clunky and very picky as well. Line and character spacing is of huge importance and precise type control in general is totally essential for real design work. Perhaps these features have since been added, or they were just hidden deep within the app but I wasn't impressed at the time.

18. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

GIMP is amazing.

If you are still having troubles, delete the X11 file you have, and then reinstall this.

::20ROGERSC::

19. pna macrumors 6502

This won't work. Unless they've recently updated this page (which they hadn't as of weeks after tiger's release), this version is too old for tiger and will result in the error the OP is describing, even after deleting the old version. I know because it happened to me. The only fix is to use the version that comes on the tiger DVD.

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Last night I discovered that Photoshop CS2 had a new feature called Merge to HDR (adobe.com) so I downloaded the trial to check it out. It takes multiple exposures and combines them into a 32-bit high dynamic range image. Can Gimp do this? That one feature alone will save me tons of time and increase the clarity of my pictures with a small investment of $149 for the upgrade from CS.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

22. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

There really is not any substitute for full PS. It's the industry standard, like it or not. At least it's a good piece of software, unlike other industry standards (such as IE).

I do wish someone would release a program aimed more at photographers. PS is aimed at both photographers and graphic designers, so it gets bogged down from that. But I still love it.

They need to update the ancient interface. It's been like that forever.

23. pna macrumors 6502

It's true, it really is a sweet program. I used the gimp for a lot of things on linux, and love the program, but all the while I was just wishing I could run PS natively and be done with it.

What sort of cracks me up is that, prior to making the switch to a mac, I just assumed that almost every mac owner must have PS installed on their macs. I think this came from the fact that the only benchmarks you ever saw for macs were based on PS, that they were still the industry standard, and that I assumed anyone that could afford a mac must also be able to afford Photoshop... Now that I'm actually in the community and a mac owner myself, I see just how wrong I was.