Alternative to "Preview"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Axeon, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Axeon macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm looking for alternative software to Apple's "Preview." Basically, I'd like a program akin to ACDSee on the PC that would allow me to open a picture in a directory and scroll through photos in that directory, as well as have it be compatible with animated GIFs. It's a mystery to me as to why Apple didn't include this feature in Preview.

Preferably I'd like to find one that is native to OS X and non-CPU intensive.
  2. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    I've never heard of (or seen) ACDSee, so I have no idea what it does, but what it sounds like you want is an image browser.

For browsing directories of images I use Curator (the developer now works for Apple). There is also ImageBrowser and a few others which are still current.

Apple does include iPhoto, but like iTunes it wants to have complete control over your image hierarchy.

You suggested that Apple should have supplied this with Mac OS X (in the form of Preview), is ACDSee something that Microsoft makes and supplies with Windows?
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    ACDSee is available on MacOS X. I also highly recommend GraphicConverter. In addition to supporting just about every graphic file format in the Alpha Quadrant, GraphicConverter serves as a poor man's PhotoShop. It can browse the files in any folder of your choice. You really should pay the shareware fee, but the app is fully functional if you don't. BTW, Preview does support animated GIF files.
  4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere

ACDSee is a blunder on mac snow leopard! It doesn't work!
  5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    This part you can do with Preview. Just open highlight the files in the directory you want (or +A for all) and open with Preview... you can scroll through them easily.
  6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    The OP is from 2004.
  7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Thanks! The date thing bit me again! Someone resurrecting an ancient thread... this time to post something off-topic!! :rolleyes:
  8. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2008
  9. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I'm not sure animated GIFs are supported but what about Adobe's Bridge? Does that fit the bill
  10. yensteel macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2009
    I second Xee. It's the best image viewing program.
  11. kasakka macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2008
    Adobe Bridge is a slow, bloated piece of ****. Don't recommend it for anything.

If you want to open a folder in Preview just drag the folder from Finder into the Preview icon. Then you'll have thumbnails on the side. Alternatively just use Quicklook, it does exactly what you're looking for (not sure of the animated GIFs tho).
  12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    A double bump!

To the OP's point on why GIFs were left out ... GIFs did require a licensing agreement with the original developer, which is why the PNG format was developed. [According to Wikipedia, the patents have expired, so theoretically, GIF support could be added.]

And to the original point in looking for an alternative, why not CoverFlow?

13. Leng Jai macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2010
    Try using cocoviewx. It's free. And I think it's close enough to ACDSee. I kinda hope it works with my iMac remote for presentation. Lyn looks nice too.

On a second thought. I love Lyn better because it works with my remote. Thank you ellisgeek :D