Alternative to Real Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by no-direction, Jan 12, 2007.

1. no-direction macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    Stevenage, England
    Hey everyone!

I'm going to make the switch to a Mac soon (if there'd been ANY sort of announcement on iMacs at MW then I would already have an order in!) and was wondering if there's any software out there that can play RealMedia files. Having used a PC for years I know that Real Player hasn't been any good since Real Player Basic 8 and I really don't want to have it infesting my brand new iMac.

As far as I can make out there's no version of RealAlternative for Mac as there is for PC but is there anything else out there? A plug-in for Quicktime for example like Flip4Mac??
  2. habibbijan macrumors member

Jan 17, 2004
    On Windows, I use Real Alternative exclusively. Like you, I don't want Real Player infesting my machine.

On OS X, Real Player behaves just fine. I don't have any worries about it "taking over" the operating system. Don't worry about it. If I recall, it was just a drag-and-drop installation.

Like you, I wish there were an alternative on the OS X side, but I have not yet found one, mainly because there's not much need for an alternative.
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    there isn't an alternative for realplayer under OSX
  4. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Having used RealPlayer on both OSX and Windows I fully understand what you're getting at. The OSX version is however far better behaved than its Windows counterpart. Apart from the main app and preference files, the only thing it installs is the Internet Plug-In for web browsers.
  5. no-direction thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    Stevenage, England
    Wow! I'm incredibly surprised to hear this! Maybe the developers of Real Player have more respect for Macs ;)

I still think that there'd be a market for someone like Telstream to develop a version of Flip4Mac that works with RealMedia file types - I know that I'd use it exclusively over having to use the full RealPlayer.