Alternative to Virex

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by besler3035, Apr 30, 2005.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Now that .Mac no longer includes Virex for Tiger users, I've been trying to find a cheap alternative (NOT Norton AntiVirus or VirusBarrier). I found ClamXav, which is FREE.

If anyone knows anything about this program and can perhaps offer their take on it, maybe a review or something, that would be very helpful. I need a virus program because my college does not allow us to hook up to the network without one.

Thank you!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Being that they require one, don't they supply one? Also, do they really check?

3. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't supply one to Windows or Mac users. Most of our campus (99%) is in a Windows world as well, so they most likely don't check. I believe I know someone who doesn't have a virus program on his Mac, and he's able to connect fine. But I just don't want to take the risk. :eek:

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My school (University of Delaware) requires and supplies mcafee and virex. I run Norton 2005 on my PC and nothing on my Mac and Linux box. I never had a problem connecting. I really wouldn't worry about it unless someone says something to you.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You do realize that .Mac dosn't offer Virex for Tiger because Virex doesn't run on Tiger, right? Neither does Norton.

It seems some kext interfaces have changed in Tiger, so there may be a bit of a delay before we see a Tiger compatible AV, although I haven't made an exhaustive search.

6. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I realize that Virex won't run on Tiger, which is WHY I'm looking for a free alternative :)

7. indigoblu macrumors member

Can you find Virex for OS 9? My college requires virus protection, and I have an old Virex in OS 9 - so I booted in OS 9 when I took the computer to register it. They were none the wiser and gave me access. The guy even said it's not important on a Mac, but they still require it. Let us know if you try ClamXav, what you think of it...

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

And neither do the viruses, so it's all good.

I like the idea of getting an antivirus for Classic--then you've got it installed and you don't ever have to run Classic.