Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephanos180

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Downey, CA
hey, i just bought an airport express and airfoil (an app that allows you to stream audio from apps other than itunes to the device), to find that videos are delayed. anyway, i figured out how to push the sound ahead to compensate on VLC, and was just wondering if someone knew of an app that was capable of causing a system-wide 'delay.' that'd be great. thanks.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
hey, i just bought an airport express and airfoil (an app that allows you to stream audio from apps other than itunes to the device), to find that videos are delayed. anyway, i figured out how to push the sound ahead to compensate on VLC, and was just wondering if someone knew of an app that was capable of causing a system-wide 'delay.' that'd be great. thanks.

Could you please explain how you did this (with VLC)? Also, is there any way to do it using Front Row or Apple's DVD Player?

Kitrik

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
Minnesota
It's unfortunately not possible... at least not in the manner that you want. VLC, when using the "delay" is actually delaying the video and playing the audio before the video. Thus when the audio finally reaches the airport express, the delayed video is in sync with it. Delaying your computer "system-wide" would mean that it would have to know what you are about to do a few seconds before you do it and play the appropriate sounds. :rolleyes:

VLC is really about the only program that I've found that can do what we want it to do. Front Row, Apple's DVD Player and video through iTunes just won't work at this point... Hopefully Apple will update these products to work with such a setup, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
VLC is really about the only program that I've found that can do what we want it to do. Front Row, Apple's DVD Player and video through iTunes just won't work at this point... Hopefully Apple will update these products to work with such a setup, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

I wouldn't either. They're introducing iTV in the spring, which is what they want you to buy instead. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.