Alternative to VLC (involving Airport Express)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stephanos180, Nov 29, 2006.

1. stephanos180 macrumors member

hey, i just bought an airport express and airfoil (an app that allows you to stream audio from apps other than itunes to the device), to find that videos are delayed. anyway, i figured out how to push the sound ahead to compensate on VLC, and was just wondering if someone knew of an app that was capable of causing a system-wide 'delay.' that'd be great. thanks.

2. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Could you please explain how you did this (with VLC)? Also, is there any way to do it using Front Row or Apple's DVD Player?

3. Kitrik macrumors member

It's unfortunately not possible... at least not in the manner that you want. VLC, when using the "delay" is actually delaying the video and playing the audio before the video. Thus when the audio finally reaches the airport express, the delayed video is in sync with it. Delaying your computer "system-wide" would mean that it would have to know what you are about to do a few seconds before you do it and play the appropriate sounds. :rolleyes:

VLC is really about the only program that I've found that can do what we want it to do. Front Row, Apple's DVD Player and video through iTunes just won't work at this point... Hopefully Apple will update these products to work with such a setup, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I wouldn't either. They're introducing iTV in the spring, which is what they want you to buy instead. ;)