Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Hello,

Is there any alternative to VLC Player? I would love to get rid of it now and move to something else.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I personally am not satisfied with VLC’s default configuration and overall complexity, and insistence on showing a library window. I just want something simple as QuickTime Player, but just with added support for more formats. mpv delivers on that.

It is a shame that nothing like Perian exists anymore, since Apple ditched the classic QuickTime frameworks.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Never heard of anyone wanting to move from VLC to something else. It plays practically anything and everything. What is it that you don't like?
Well. Something weird is happening with my VLC on my new macbook. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 666

GeorgeVes

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
+1 for mpv.io - plays everything and has a minimalistic design + consumes slightly less battery life than VLC

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
There is also Movist. Used to be a fine free player and now a spendy app on the Mac App store.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014

So what? Just don't let it install it, if you're posting on macrumors then you're savvy enough to not let installers install that junk. MPlayerX is the only decent alternative to Quicktime. Everything else is ugly and not Mac-like.

Personally I just convert everything to mp4 or mov or whatever and play it in Quicktime. Makes it compatible with my Apple TV and makes things easier for me.

Reactions: Babu Life

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
So what? Just don't let it install it, if you're posting on macrumors then you're savvy enough to not let installers install that junk. MPlayerX is the only decent alternative to Quicktime. Everything else is ugly and not Mac-like.

Personally I just convert everything to mp4 or mov or whatever and play it in Quicktime. Makes it compatible with my Apple TV and makes things easier for me.

I wouldn't consider all posters on Macrumors.com as necessarily savvy eg some people are willing to provide support to a developer who goes out of their way to obfuscate the adware bundled with their app.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
MPlayerX should be avoided. Nobody can be that desperate for a shiny UI. Developers that bundle rubbish like this have clearly no standards and cannot be trusted to do the right thing if more-malicious people start paying them money for dangerous software. The Malwarebytes blog post outlines that the bundled adware has been getting sneaker since it was first bundled by trying to make it more difficult for security researchers to spot and analyse it. We should not allow the lines to become ever more blurred.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.