Alternative to VLC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by storage, Jan 23, 2007.

1. storage macrumors 6502

I've been looking for an alternative to VLC, since it just keeps crashing, and crashing and crashing. It's not uncommon it'll crash twice during a 10 minute clip.

The only similar application I've found is mplayer, but I'm not really a fan of the mplayer UI.

Does anyone know any other video/media players? Freeware or shareware doesn't matter, as long as I can watch my movies without having to restart the application all the time!

Thanks in advance :)

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You could try installing Perian, and Flip4Mac. That should allow you to play all the commonly found files.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

4. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

yeah vlc is a bit weird......it will crash on first opening but on the second opening its fine! :confused:

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Interesting, VLC works fine for me. Well, of course I probably jinxed it now. :)

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Make sure you have the most recent version of VLC, 0.8.6.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

0.8.6 doesn't work so well here...some stuff that used to play smoothly, doesn't anymore. I went back to 0.8.5, which works very well, and doesn't crash.

--Eric

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

9. d-fi macrumors member

I love VLC it's a one stop shop for playing video or really almost any media :)

Not that i'm trying to influence you but have you tried redownloading it? There may have been an error when you downloaded it originally. Plus as killmoms said there is a new version that just came out a couple months ago 0.8.6

10. gre2974 macrumors newbie

i'm dropped vlc for nice player and so far i'm satisfied with it. it hasn't crashed yt. i like the simple and clean ui.

11. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's a really nice idea :). I need to buy QuickTime Pro to watch in fullscreen, right?

I'll take a look at Cellulo, thanks! :)

I did have the latest version. Now I'm using a nightly build to see if it would fix it, which it didn't. Same problems :(.

Tried redownloading it, reinstalling Mac OS X and so on, still no luck! :(

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

12. czeluff macrumors 6502

what i do

Perian + NicePlayer + Flip4Mac.

the last one isnt even REALLY needed if u dont care about WMVs. But I LOVE this setup. works so well.

cz

13. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, NicePlayer is really, really nice. One of the best movie players I've ever used! Thanks a lot! :)