Alternative ways to Fast User switch?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hob, May 23, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hey, does anyone know how to fast-user switch, but without using the menu-bar? I really don't have room on my 12" screen to have "Rob McDougall" plastered along the top along with my other icons - but I do like to use the feature when my friends ask to use it at school etc. I thought about moving the name along, but i'm also using salling clicker which, for some reason, won't move either - and in Word I can't see most of my icons even without my name!!

So is there like an app or command line I can run?

Thanks

Hob

2. eyefragment macrumors newbie

3. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Could you give each account- including yourself - on your computer a wingding character instead of a name then that's all that will show up on the menubar is the one character. Make the passwords real, doesn't matter what the name is.

hth m

4. scott182 macrumors member

Download WinSwitch

http://winswitch.wincent.com/

It allows you to have a small icon instead of your full name or your short username if you want. Probably the best you're going to get and still be able to use fast user switching.

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thanks a lot :)

Hob

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I have a question, now that yours has been solved--

Is there any way to fast-user-switch without entering your password each time?

I just want to select a username from the menu and be there. But i don't want to totally remove my password-- wouldn't that leave my computer unsecure?

paul