Alternatives to 23" Apple Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BicyclePunk, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

I know it's awesome, and I want one. But I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion for a widescreen display that comes close to the quality of an Apple 23" display, but isn't so damned expensive. Thanks!

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Probably the closest one that's a reasonable price is the Dell 2407wfp. Lots of people around here have those monitors and love them. They've got multiple inputs, PiP, a card reader, a USB hub, and adjustable stand. They can be had for around $600 on sale.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Does anyone know if Dell has a refurbished section? (Re: these displays are still expensive!)

Could you provide a link if you know where it is? Dell's site confuses me. :confused:

4. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm....I like that Dell. And 300 clams less than the Apple display. But do I need all the bells and whistles on the Dell? I don't think so. I bet it'd be even cheaper without that crap.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have 2 and do not like them as much as first-generation Apple 23" screens. They are definitely better than a "poke in the eye with a sharp stick". They are bright with good contrast. But, they do not appear as 'crisp'. Then again, they are attached to a Dell 390, and the ACD's to a G5 Quad with a GeForce 7800GT.

6. iBenzin macrumors member

The Dell 2407WFP is pretty good for the money, but its pretty butt ugly.

7. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be hooking it up to a 17" MacBook Pro because I want all the screen real estate I can get. I do web desgin, so I want code and a browser open on the screen at all times. I think the Dell should do it, but the Apple sure is nice. I'll then have the laptop screen available for email, iChat, etc.

8. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I can vouch for the PQ on the Dell 2407 ... it's sweet. I was easily able to open 2 browsers side-by-side without any overlap. Another option that will save you many clams is a nice 17" with a swivel base. I have a 15" MBP with a 17" rotated monitor for browsing. 1024x1280 is an excellent resolution for browsing since it's as wide as your average screen, but longer.