Alternatives to Candybar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Canerican, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Canerican macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Are there any alternatives to CandyBar? It's a nice app, but is there a way to do it myself, or is there any other program I can use? I'm a college student and $13 is alot right now.
  2. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Sure, though you'll have to be a bit more careful. With most apps, you can simply copy and paste icons within the Finder in the Get Info window. For those that display active information or are just stubborn, you'll need an .icns file (you can use Icon Composer, in the Developer Tools CD that came with your computer), then follow these steps:

1. Right- or control-click on the application in the Finder, and choose "Show Package Contents."
    2. Open the "Contents" folder, then the "Resources" folder.
    3. Find the .icns file located within that folder, which may be named "NSApplication.icns", "AppIcon.icns", "[program name].icns" or several other things, but will always be an .icns.
    4. Backup (either rename or copy to a separate location) the original, then replace it with the new .icns, renaming it to match the original .icns file.
    5. Close the window, choose "Get Info" on the application, select the icon, and hit delete. The new icon should appear if the previous steps were done properly.

I did that for quite a while until I finally got CandyBar. CandyBar's a lot easier, but both methods are equally effective. Only catch is it's a lot harder to find/change system icons manually.

3. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks alot. I will probably buy CandyBar after I pay for my books and insurence...
  4. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Where is the Safari Icon?

NVM: its called Compass.icns
  5. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    They way didn't work for me, I tried it with threee different apps. How am I supposed to rename the file that I want to use as a new icon? Do I just use the name of the old icon?