Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledfoot_Jr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
hey i was wondering if there is any file sharing program out there better then limewire, becuase i cannot find any. I dont particularly like limewire either. and is there any program that i can crack the code on movie DVDs. thanks. This is my very first post on this site so forgive me if its a little queer.

babar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
PARIS
Give a try to MacSatellite. Works with Audiogalaxy and is just the best for music.

iSwipe gives a lot of adresses for software but very hard to download anything.

Agree that Lukifer is the best ripper around.

Enjoy.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Nice. Just steal everything. Anyone know where I can get a lockpick, switchblade and gun?
I don't shed too many tears for MS, major record labels, or Hollywood but some of my buddies making smaller films and sports videos are starting to feel the impact of file swapping.
Can I come over and steal your computer?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
TiBook DVD Firmware

Hi,

I've noticed lots of places with the Mat****a firmware for my TiBook 500 to make it region free. At present it's set to region 1 with one change left, and I also remember upgrading the firmware from software update about 6 months ago. Has anyone run this and it worked?

Any tips/suggestions if you have...

and can I patch my DVD-RAM over firewire?

cheers people, thanks in advance...:D

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
i ran the Matsu****a firmware 'upgrade' about 5 months ago, and have been able to change the region on my tibook rev a without having to worry about the normal max of 5 changes. Every time it gets a bit low i just set the number of changes back to 5, and start the whole thing over again :p

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Details Britboy!

That's all good Britboy, but I feel I have Apple-parnoia! I remember running this Apple DVD-ROM firmware - did you? and did you do it before the region-free firmware.

I suppose I'm thinking Apple gave me an update which would screw up a region-free flashing!

Help! Give me some confidence someone!!!

hamish

Ledfoot_Jr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
thanks

thanks for all your help, but i cant connect to the carracho server. does anyone know why this is, and what i can do about it?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
once the drive has been flashed to RPC-1, updates from apple do not change its state. What i did was to run all the updates available at the time, restart, run the flash, restart again (following the instructions that came with the flasher) and then just continue using it as normal.

You can get the rpc-1 firmware from http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/ and scrolling down to where the Mat****a SR 8187 is listed.

In the readme file it does state that with some of the drives it doesn't work, due to a "non updatable MaskROM or by explicitly update-disabled firmware". If that is the case, then there's not much you can do about it, and the firmware update will simply leave the drive unchanged. So, even if that's the case then it isn't going to damage your drive (providing you follow the instructions).

If you're feeling paranoid about it though, then your best bet is going to be to just leave it be and get by, without changing the region on your drive ;)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Does it work with a superdrive?

I once found this hack in Limewire with DVDregion changer. It worked for OS 9, but had no effect on X. Think it was patch loaded into memory, not an actual firmware change...

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: dvd ripper

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't know much about cracking dvd's but I do have a dvd ripper if anyone's interested....

Where? Where is it?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock

Beej: you rule man. that used to be one of my favorite sites but i lost the link some time ago and couldnt find it again. .gr! jeez why didnt i try that?!?!!? thanks a lot for posting the link.

SPG: you conservative really blow my mind. "ill call it stealing and trick them into thinking its immoral." nice tactic. why dont you and lars and the rest of you facist pigs get a new line because the proletariat isnt going to keep falling for your old tricks anymore. btw i usually find your comments here far more intelligient, you let me down this time by your ignorance.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
Beej: you rule man. that used to be one of my favorite sites but i lost the link some time ago and couldnt find it again. .gr! jeez why didnt i try that?!?!!? thanks a lot for posting the link.
Welcome :D

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
carracho

thanks for all your help, but i cant connect to the carracho server. does anyone know why this is, and what i can do about it?

the text above should be bold to indicate that my response is to the above
bold (hopefully) text.

anyway heres link you can use to find site for carracho.

www.tracker-tracker.com

you can also open the TRACKER window in carracho.
Type in "guest" without quotes into the filter field.

a very frustrating community but sometimes it works out.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Alternative to Limewire

I have been using Aquisition. It's betware, but I have used it extensively and only had it crash once. It's not perfect, and it doesn't seem to work for everyone as well as it does for me. Give it a try, though.

You can get it here.

Chris

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
dvd ripper

thanks dantec! :p

as for the ripper....I got it about a year ago....it's slow but it works....just need to have lots of hd space....7 gigs per disc basically....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.