Alternatives to Mac displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by camarao, Apr 25, 2005.

1. camarao macrumors newbie

Do you know of any alternatives to Mac displays ? These are too expensive and I will use it to do music production, not graphic design.

Thank you.

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

A lot of members here likes the Dell 2005FPW. I just ordered one last week, it's a 20" widescreen lcd monitor and I got it for $424.00 including tax. Haven't received it yet so I cant tell you how it performs but judging from the posts here, it's better than the Mac display.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

A lot of people here have been raving about the new Dell LCDs... in addition to the 20" model ($440 or so), Dell also offers a 1920 x 1200 24" LCD which you can get right now for right at $1000... this price blows everyone else out of the water. (By comparison, Apple and Sony both offer 23" LCDs for about $1800.)

Myself, I have a Sony 23" LCD and am extremely happy with it... enough so that while I am tempted by the Dell, I'm sticking with what I have.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Another vote for Dell. Great LCDs for the money. I'm not sure how their cheaper displays are but I've only heard good things about the UltraSharp series - regardless of size. I think the UltraSharp series run from 17" to 24". I'm very pleased with my 2001FP (20" 4:3).

Wait for a good deal though before you buy (unless you need it ASAP). Usually you can get the Dell LCDs for at least 30% off, sometimes as much as 40-45% off the list price. Wait for a sale and use internet coupons people often post them on MR but you can also do Google searches. A few days ago the 20" Ultrasharps could be had for under $400 between sale and coupons. Unbelievable!

6. gallivant macrumors member

Heck, I've got a pre-ultrasharp 17" analog LCD, and it's still amazing. No dead pixels, good color, and while it's no cinema display, it's defnitely not ugly. My next display'll probably be a 2005FPW, or its equivilant at the time.

7. camarao thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for a Powerbook 15". Are the Dells you mentioned compatible with the Powerbook. What things should I have in mind regarding cables, connections and screen resolutions? I'm new to Powerbooks and Lcd monitors...

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes they are. All the adapters you need should be included with your powerbook.

9. camarao thread starter macrumors newbie

After a research I found very difficult to find here ,in Portugal, Dell monitors.
    Do you remember any other good brands or models ?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet ;) Dell :eek:

...no, seriously, Dell.

11. panphage macrumors 6502

Maybe check out trustedreviews.com? They did a large LCD roundup not too long ago, and they're UK based so they might have a more internationally available slant. Personally, I have a Dell 2005FPW and I love it.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a Dell 24" LCD that I got under $1200 shipped....

Its great and I would highly recommend it if you're interested in a large screen.

D

13. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

If you are not in the market for a 20" plus monitor, myself and people I know have had good success with Samsung's Syncmaster series.

14. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Another vote for the Dell 20" wide - I have had it for 2 months and it is really nice - not to mention the real estate I now have back on the desk after removing the 17" CRT. I never really thought of the CRT's as being that big until I got a larger LCD - amazing...I recommend it. I should have bought more than one :)

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's strange, they seem to list a very limited product selection on the Dell Portugal website. :( But you should still try calling them and asking (phone number on website). You never know. And the 2405FPW does look really, really sweet.

EDIT: Oh, and if you click on User CP under the Macrumors logo, at the top of the page, then go to Edit Profile, and go all the way down until you see "Location," please consider putting your location (even just "Portugal") into it, so people know not to give you advice on really good deals Dell is offering us over here, 2000 km from where you are. ;)

16. camarao thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find Dell monitors in Portugal but I saw this one at a really good price : FUJITSU ScaleoView C19-3 Monitor LCD TFT 19'' 1280x1024@75Hz €269,99 ( $ 351.15 ). Are these Fujitsu reliable ?

17. sk8erboy macrumors regular

18. supergod macrumors 6502

Dell is so gank, guy. Get the apple because it's all like aluminum and hardcore.

19. supergod macrumors 6502

On a lighter note, look at all these macintosh newbie users with their miniature macs. Sk8erboy? Just lovely. I'm really glad that the brand is appealing to such a diverse audience.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sk8erboy, do try and see if you can find a comparably priced LCD with DVI. I think that would be a better investment in the long run, esp if you can put a small bit more in and get a 17" one instead of a 15". Look for one of Dell's deals on an LCD and buy one of theirs that has DVI, if you can. If not, though, yes, it will probably look fairly nice on that display. I have a KDS 15" LCD, with VGA only, and it works fine. But I don't really use it on my iBook much -- its on a Win computer chez mes parents.

21. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I was looking at the Dell the other night. I was thinking about getting one since it is DVI. I have a SyncMaster 712N right now, but this LCD does not have DVI. I am about to purchase a Power Mac G5 system. I would not want to connect it to this LCD via the DVI to VGA converter. I don't think the display would be that good.

22. MistDragonCA macrumors newbie

Well, the Dell 20.1" display is under $500 right now! :eek: ...40" of monitor for under $10000...::drools::

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you want really cheap, but still quite good LCDs, I recommend YuSmart screens. I got this 17" for my father-in-law to use with his brand new mini since it was the cheapest in the store, but it was really crisp, also when it was sitting between an iBook G4 and a Pismo...

24. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I have a Dell 1901FP at my work, and the image quality and viewing angle really suck in comparison to my old plastic 20" Apple Cinema Display.. However, I hear good things about their newer line of displays.

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I go with the Dell vote. We buy quite a lot of them where I work and they are great quality and brilliant value for money. Someone in this thread mentioned the Samsung Syncmaster range and we have 3 of the 21" jobbies here and they're really nice monitors.