Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I go for Dell as well.........there Displays are very good and you don't need to take up a loan for them either ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
id have to vote dell. . . my 2005FPW is shipping to me right now and i cant wait. but, one of the main reasons i wanted the dell was because of the rock bottom price. samsung makes good monitors (and as an interesting note when i was modding my PB i noticed a nice samsung sticker on the back of the display! so i think apple gets its monitors from samsung!) sony makes good monitors as well, but they are pretty expensive. other than that most monitors are about the same, the cheap no-name brands might be a little less bright, or a little less clear, but you will really have to look hard to notice. at work we got Daewoo LCDs i think around 150 for 17" models. they work, and look good and for the past year they seem reliable!

camarao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Lisbon, Portugal
Today I went to a shop to look at 19" monitors to connect to the Powerbook 15" 1,67hz. I noticed that all the 19" monitors have a square shape and the Powerbook screen is more rectangular. I asked the guy at the shop if the image would distort and he told me it would unless I bought a more rectangular monitor like the ones from Apple. Is this true ? I don't have money to spend on an Apple monitor...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
camarao said:
Today I went to a shop to look at 19" monitors to connect to the Powerbook 15" 1,67hz. I noticed that all the 19" monitors have a square shape and the Powerbook screen is more rectangular. I asked the guy at the shop if the image would distort and he told me it would unless I bought a more rectangular monitor like the ones from Apple. Is this true ? I don't have money to spend on an Apple monitor...
No, that's not true (unless you use it in mirror mode)... you can set the resolution on the second screen independent of the PB's screen...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
NEC Mulitisync 1935NXM & 1760NXM... if interested in no dead pixels. No complaints. Nothing is worse then a dead pixel. Very happy with NEC. After buying one i had to get another.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
We have a Dell 17 inch LCD in the kitchen on our HP computer. Real nice display...only $320 too. May need to let my PowerBook "borrow" it...muwuhahahahahaha

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
well then can you explain to me why people are having these screen issues and why i should / shouldnt be concerned. obviously something is wrong ever if users are using a DVI adapter on a VGA camera

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
sk8erboy said:
well then can you explain to me why people are having these screen issues and why i should / shouldnt be concerned. obviously something is wrong ever if users are using a DVI adapter on a VGA camera
You shouldn't be concerned because most of us who use the DVI to VGA adapter that comes with the Mac mini have no issues at all. Maybe Apple has worked out the problem with the few units that had problems or maybe you will be one of the unlucky ones with problems, maybe you will be unlucky and fall badly on your skateboard, too, it's hard to tell, but the Mac mini does not in general have a bad DVI to VGA adapter. When you read messages on a board like this, you will get to read all the bad things that happen to people, but it's generally not that common for someone to start a thread just because their computer works fine. That's why it may sometimes seem like Macs have serious problems when you read macrumors, when in reality Macs have the least issues of all the major brands according to Consumer Report.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
cc bcc said:
I have a Dell 1901FP at my work, and the image quality and viewing angle really suck in comparison to my old plastic 20" Apple Cinema Display.. However, I hear good things about their newer line of displays.

Yeah the new ones are pretty good! But there is a differece b/w the normal monitors and the "UltraSharp" Series. The normal ones are ok, you get a good monitor for the price you pay, but the UltraSharp is really good for the price you pay (as long as you wait for a good sale!) I just noticed the prices went up again, not to full price, but they have had better sales!

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX
As far as a 15" LCD to hook up to a Mac Mini...I've been looking and thinking about this one here.

It seems to match the mini pretty well, it's light and easy to carry, it's got built in speakers (no matter how crappy they are...at least that's one less thing to carry around), it's cheap, and it's got DVI. I don't know...what do you all think?

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have a Proview 19"...I hate it. Wish I hade a 20" or higher cause th resolution on a 19 inch is the same as on a 17. Any way to mod my compy to make it think I have a 20 inch so it boosts my resolution to 1600 by 1200? Don't care if stuff is tiny and unreadilbe.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 23" ACD :eek: I couldn't take the pressure at CompUSA on Tiger release day. All the talk about HD and lower prices had my credit card sending signals to my brain. Must. Buy. That. Monitor. Ahhh! Anyways, its' beautiful and it's perfect. No stuck or dead pixels. Whew :p

If anyone is interested in a steal on my old 22" CRT, there's a thread in the marketplace forum here.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I tried hooking my powerbook into my roommates 53" Sony HDTV, through the DVI port in the back. The picture looks great, however there's some clipping around the edges, you can only see half the dock, and the menubar up top is off screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that? I'd eventually like to get a mac mini to hook up to it, but if it's going to be clipped off I'm not going to...

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
davecuse said:
I tried hooking my powerbook into my roommates 53" Sony HDTV, through the DVI port in the back. The picture looks great, however there's some clipping around the edges, you can only see half the dock, and the menubar up top is off screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that? I'd eventually like to get a mac mini to hook up to it, but if it's going to be clipped off I'm not going to...
Sounds like an overscan problem on the TV. That's my guess anyways. It can be a challenge to adjust. You have to go into service mode and take the chance of screwing up a lot more than you'll fix...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.