alternatives to quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by v-ault, Feb 23, 2007.

1. v-ault macrumors regular

I want to watch a movie, but it costs 30 dollars to watch movies in full screen. Are there any free alternative movie players beside windows media player?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

3. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

4. czeluff macrumors 6502

another option

Another option:

Perian + Flip4Mac + NicePlayer.

Perian allows Quicktime to play EVERYTHING except wmv files. Flip4Mac allows the playing of wmv files.

NicePlayer is able to play everything your Quicktime player can use. So essentially it's Quicktime without the fluff. It reads in all the compatible formats that your Quicktime player can use.

NicePlayer is really nice and quick, but VLC has 400% volume boost, which is nce.

I use both, depending on the circumstance. If the videos are stored on my computer, I use VLC. If theyre on my external hard drive I use NicePlayer (for some reason VLC crashes everytime i play from external drive, and then I try to close the app. it kills my os x everytime).

cz

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Mplayer OSX can do full screen too, but no control panel under that mode, so VLC still has advantage there.

6. ronni3 macrumors regular

MPEG Streamclip is another player/converter that will play mpeg2 files, such as .TS files that would not otherwise play in VLC. Plus you could always convert the video into something that VLC or Quicktime will be able to play.

7. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

iTunes can also play Quicktime movies full screen.

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If you are only looking for a way to watch fulscreen videos in Quicktime without paying for pro, you can use this widget.

9. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

That has to be one of the more useful widgets i've seen. Thanks for all the help everyone!

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

iTunes is quicktime...

11. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

If QT plays your file without a problem then you could always try using frontrow's 'movies' menu to play it in full-screen mode. The only drawback is that it doesn't work well with multiple displays (only supports mirrored desktops).