Alternatives to StuffIt

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by micsaund, Jan 21, 2007.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi,

I'm recently back with the Mac and one tool I'm missing sorely is Winrar.

I just tried to send a file to someone via e-mail, and their e-mail system wouldn't take the 8MB attachment. So, in that scenario, I usually stick the file in a zip and split it into 4MB chunks.

However, I could not figure-out how to do this with Stuffit Deluxe 11. The zip option doesn't seem to offer file splitting (I have to say for for $80 :eek: , there's no chance I'll be buying this package!!!)

The people I'm trying to send stuff to are not "computer people" and cannot be expected to manually cat files together or do other weird stuff, hence my desire to use zip (personally, I prefer rar). Sending a .sit file, which Stuffit 11 Deluxe will create split-up, is not an option as the Windows users won't have a clue what to do with it.

What tools are there for OS X which provide a full featured zip (and preferrably other formats as well) creation toolset? Normally, I would just do a split on a tar file, but as you know, that would puzzle the windows users as they do not understand how to cat files back together. So, the tool needs to generate "it just works" type zip files. Obviously freeware is preferred, but I'll look at other options.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

A little OT, but maybe you should consider having him/her get a gmail/yahoo/whatever account that can handle up to 10 MN files...

I just looked at my version of Stuffit zip and version 8 has no option to do this :(

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

If you control-click the folder/file you want to zip, the option is to "create archive of your file" without using stuffit.

I'm not sure about splitting them though.

4. oceanmonster macrumors regular

did you try control clicking the file and selecting archive? That turns it into a zip file.

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

SimplyRAR will create a rar file and has the ability to split the files up into pieces of your choosing. And as an added plus, its completely free.

EDIT: I just noticed that the program is no longer distributed on macupdate...

6. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

The built-in archive/zip will create a file that's too large just the same as StuffIt did.

I'll search-out that freeware rar tool for my own use, but it won't work for the Windows recipients since the company only offers Winzip on their machines. Sadly, gmail/etc. is blocked at this company, so sending a small multi-part zip is my only option other than uploading to my website (which I did for now, but I'd still like a real, solid zip creation solution for the Mac - there HAS to be something out there!)

Thanks for the input so far and keep it coming! I'd hate to have to fire-up Parallels just to zip a file - that wouldn't be too complimentary to the Mac.

Mike

7. oceanmonster macrumors regular

What kind of file is it?

8. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

In this case, an mp3 podcast. However, it could be any file format in the future.

9. oceanmonster macrumors regular

you could compress it into a smaller .aac or .mp3 file in itunes. do you have quicktime pro?

10. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yeah, I could reduce it, but next time, it might be not an mp3 but instead a PowerPoint file or something else. I've got this particular file sent, but I'm in search of a longer-term solution - there's gotta be something out there and I have confidence that this community knows what it is :)

I suppose I could split the file and then write a .bat file for Winbloze recipients that will cat the files back together, but that seems over-complicated for what I'm trying to do.

Mike

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If you have the time, search MacUpdate for "zip". I jut spent about 1 minute doing that and found BetterZip which looks decent. it's not free, but you might be able to find some freeware on there that creates split zips too.