Alternatives to Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedemonV12, Nov 14, 2006.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

hey guys! just got my new MBP and it is amazing!!! but of course my mom needs me to get some school done, so i need an alternative to Microsoft Word, i dont feel like spending the money for it, and would like something that is freeware... any ideas??

thanks!!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Pages, which is included with your MBP, is a great piece of software.
    It's free for 30 days, although there are ways of making the trial last infinitely. I think i'm not supposed to post ways and means here, though. i'll just say that it doesn't involve modifying the application, and its very simple to do.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

For a full office suite: NeoOffice

If you just need a word processor: Try TextEdit (comes with all Macs and is extremely underrated).

Both free. Both can open and save .doc files... :)

4. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

You could give the following two companies a try

http://www.marinersoftware.com/

http://www.nisus.com/Express/

I believe both companies offer a demo download of their software.

Neo office is of course free, and a pretty useful app. I've never really used pages so I cant comment on its usefulness, many seem to like it though.

Jason

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

sorry if i get this wrong but, you are aware of microsoft office for mac right?

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The OP is hoping to find an alternative to it.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes, but from what i gathered, he is new to macs, and maybe doesnt realise word is available for mac, thats all

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

www.openoffice.org

This is a full Office Suite. It's 100% free and Open Sourse. You can thank Sun Microsystems for it. It runs on Mac OSX, Windows, Solaris and Linux. I use it a lont under Linux and Solaris. It works well with most Office files

If you need somwething a little lighter weight look here
    http://www.abiword.com/

Also Apples' "text edit" can read and edit Word files

I see some others have recommended "neo office". This is a reasonable option too. It is a "port" of an older version of Open Office to the native mac environment. It works but is less up to date and lags Open Office in terms of features and bug fixes. Also open Office is the SAME on all platforms. You can move between the Mac, Linux, Solaris and Windows and Open Office looks and feels the same. But neo office is more "mac-like" so you get to decide. Both are free. get both. It depends on if you need to be truely "cross platform" and if you need the up to the minute features.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm sure he does know.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3, which uses aqua menus, hence the name, and doesn't requirer X11, is based on OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 code, so it's not that old... :rolleyes:

Another possibility, of course, is Google Docs & Spreadsheets. :)

11. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the replies... I tested out Abiword, and just wasnt as smooth as i liked... so i went with NeoOffice... based off of OpenOffice... i had used OpenOffice on linux and my windows pc... but didnt realize they made it for mac till it was posted here... anyway, i love NeoOffice, has everything i need, thanks a lot!!!