Altitude performance??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by drumpat01, Aug 9, 2005.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

I was looking at the specs for the iBook and found that they had altitude requirements!?! The are 10,000ft for operating altitude and 15,000 for storage altitude. So, if im in a plane at 30,000ft, which is normal flight hight i think, does that mean it wont work right? This will in no way effect my desicion in buying an ibook next month, I just found it interesting and wondered what you guys thought.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i believe that's because of air density being so much lower at those heights. so like you couldnt use it on top of a 12k' mountain, but a plane's cabin is pressurized (hopefully :eek: ) so it should be fine.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The pressure in a plane cabin is held at a level much closer to Earth. If not you'd been very dead after a flight. As far as I remember the cabin pressure is held at an equivalent of no more than 2.500 meters (~8.000 ft), so you and your Mac should be safe. :)

4. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01

oooOOOOoooo..... you are all very wise masters, and I am yet a younng grasshopper.

5. JonMaker macrumors regular

Oh noes :(

I guess I'll have to leave my iBook at base camp. :eek: ;) :p

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

DONT DO itttttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in april, i was on my way back from hawaii, longest flight ever (12 hours) and i opened my ibook about 30,000 ft in air. i was editing some of the pics i took (100 in total)...when my ibook frooze. i was Hmmm...this has NEVER HAPPENED, so as an EX windows user, i just turned it off. about 5min later,i tried turning it on again, and i woulld get the flashing smiley, and a globe. bottom line, it wasnt logging in. when i got home, i took it to apple store, and the "genious" told me my hard drive froze, and needed to be replaced. i was still under warranty so it was free. just like that all my memories from hawaii were gone, and everything on my hard drive gone. he asked me when did it stop working, and i said in the airplane. THENNNN HE said ive replaced about 10 ibooks/power books that have frozen during flights. so I RECOMMEND dont do it!!!!!!!

7. jonomo macrumors regular

If you look at the apple support discussions there are several people complaining that their ibooks didn't work on airplanes.. i'm taking a trip on friday .. so we'll see!!!