Altivec optimized applications

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gopher, Aug 14, 2002.

1. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
  2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    What about iPhoto???

I thought iPhoto was Altivec enhanced. I swear that Jobs said it at MWSF.
  3. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm pretty sure I heard that too, maybe its supposed to be a given.
  4. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    For the record:

These thing are not "Altivec" enhanced, they're " Velocity Engine" enhanced.

Before you go getting all obnoxious about it: No, they're no the same thing.

Velocity Engine is a breed of technology that's a part of the PPC roadmap and the A/I/M partnership so all this talk about "IBM chips needing new code cuz there's no Altivec" is crap. The "Power4 Lite" or whatever IBM is going to call it has a Velocity Engine, they're just not using the word "Altivec". Go try to find Altivec as a requirement on the Apple site. You won't find it. The term Velocity Engine is used instead.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Well, AltiVec is a Motorola trademark and Velocity Engine is an Apple trademark.

They both still apply to the VMX multimedia/DSP instructions and processing unit specifications. :)

That list was dual processor-aware applications, not AltiVec-aware applcations.
  6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    the list on apple site is in fact for programs that take advantage of dual processors...

Also, every program can benefit from the "Velocity Engine" -- however, certain applications take advantage of it either by the way in which the program runs or if the program is specially optimized...

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Interesting. I can only imagine that unaware applications can take advantage by using portions of the operating system already using AltiVec.

Otherwise, you have to specifically have to code for AltiVec using CodeWarrior 6 or set the AltiVec flag on CW7 or 8, remembering to create another non-AltiVec version.

You can use the vDSP library with Project Builder. I believe you use the -altivec flag to generate code for it, but I would imagine there is a checkbox to do the same thing within PB projects.