Aluminium finish for all iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by The Grood, Sep 19, 2006.

1. The Grood macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006
    Sorry - had a search & couldn't see anyone who asked this question:

Does anyone else think the white 'iMac' finish on the top of the range iPod now looks a little past it?

When you see the new nano/shuffle/iPod as a threesome I can't help thinking the aluminium finish is the future across the range?

In which case, would I be stoopid to buy the white 80gb right now if the new look is soon to be launched? (the spec is perfect for me).

PS. Not interested in 'true video' iPods, but am desperate for a new pod. The trusty 3g 30gb is full and the battery is caput.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The look is getting a bit dated. I don't know about an all-aluminium line-up though. I could see them just making the screen much bigger so that it's effectively screen on one side and chrome on the other, with a narrow border of white on the screen's side. That'd look cool. I've seen some mock-ups to this effect. :cool:
  3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    I caved in and bought the 2G Nano and I think both finishes / designs are past it. The 2G is simply a remixed Mini. Apple is Bauhaus'd out in my opinion and they need something totally new to keep things fresh. These days I'm more drawn to the more overtly gadgety but tasteful attempts of Sony and iRiver in terms of style. If only they could make their stuff work anywhere near as well as Apple then I'd migrate. As mad jew says, provided they do something interesting with it (beyond the already-done-by-Meizu Apple type backgrounds) an all-screen iPod would do away with criticisms about styling, as it'd just be a frame for whatever goes on the screen.
  4. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006

Time for a holiday Mr Ive.

We need something refreshingly, amazingly new.

I've been waiting three years for a suitably impressive replacement for my 3g iPod and I still don't think there is one.

Curse you!
  5. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    An aluminium 80gig iPod would be sweet, i have no interest in video iPods either, i want to listen to music, thats it.

A black aluminium or iridised aluminium iPod would be perfect.
  6. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006

Sorry to be thick, but what does 'iridised' look like?
  7. anim8or macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2006
    Scotland, UK
    I like the aluminium cases better than chrome backed ones.

They last much longer, aesthetically that is. I much prefer having my aluminium mini than getting a highly scratchable iPod.

If the new true video ipod has aluminium i would buy it sooner as i would not be waiting for suitable cases etc.

Aluminium all the way i say!
  8. yorkslad macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2005
    All these people that say 'Im not interested in video', where are you living that is sooooo yesterday :p
  9. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006

For me iPod = music. Maybe photos and Album art. But mainly music.

'Video' = 50" widescreen HD DVD surround sound cinema experience. With popcorn. And wine.

I have no desire to carry a little telly around with me everywhere.
  10. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
  11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    I think how they have the current product line now is perfect. Have the nanos made from aluminum and the larger capacity iPods made from chrome. The nanos definitely needed a change they were far to easy to damage
  12. yorkslad macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2005
    iPod=Music when iPod was unique and when music was all people wanted to take with them. Now people want the option to take with them 'that show off the telly' that they didnt get chance to watch last night but might do on the train on the way to work...Or that movie that will keep the kids amused in the back of the car on the way to who knows where....Sheash have u only just got rid of your 80's cassette walkman??
  13. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006
    Not yet! Want to make me an offer? ;)

My point was: there are a lot of people who just want an FO music player, without paying for or lugging around the 'true video' bit.

I think we'll end up with a seperate top end widescreen video iPod for those who do.
  14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    I have yet to see a better finish. Knowing Apple, it will be changed again before 2007 is over. Having missed out on the opportunity to buy a new Mini when they were out, I quickly bought a green Nano and am very happy.
  15. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I like the idea. but the ipod would not be the same anymore.
  16. yorkslad macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2005
    Welcome to the Nano :)
  17. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2006
    i actually like the current design of the ipod but because it is so prone to scratches and fingerprints, you can't really use it without an ugly protective they may as well make it auminium which is nice too.