Aluminium Powerbook buckled case over optical drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lucius, Jan 29, 2006.

1. lucius macrumors member

I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this problem with the Aluminium powerbooks. Mine is a 1.33GHz 15" effort. Now I really like it and have enjoyed it over the last 18 months but a strange thing has happened. The case over the top of my optical drive has buckled inwards, to such an extent that the slot drive looks like a sneering smile. Disks will go in but the little buggers won't come out without me grabbing them very quickly and yanking hard... otherwise they get pulled back into the drive.

This bad, very bad. I have Dixons (UK) cover on the laptop but I'm dreading using it - I've heard bad things about their customer service.

Has anyone else come across this issue. My only theory is that its where my hand has rested while I use the trackpad and over time this has caused the case to buckle.

As an aside, the case doesn't seem very tough at all compared with my old Ti Book. Still, I'll keep buying Powerbooks so I guess I have no excuse...

Sean.

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

3. lucius thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if this picture is too clear but its the best I could do with my camera phone (no camera to hand).

Attached Files:

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

bah :eek:

is it still under warrenty? I'd be calling apple

5. primalman macrumors 6502a

has the case ever been opened for repair? If so, I have seen that if the exterior of the housing is not seated properly over the internals, it can warp the this alum case.

6. lucius thread starter macrumors member

No its not under warranty now although i do have Dixons 3 year cover which is supposed to cover me for all repairs and what not. The only drawback is their 9 week maximum turnaround which could put me out of the loop on the Mac front for quite a while.

7. lucius thread starter macrumors member

Hi.

Its not been opened for repairs of anything, no. Its just a freak occurance. I guess having the optical drive right where most pressure is applied on a day to day basis is not the best plan - the 12" has the side loading drive which should make for a more robust machine I guess.

8. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

no not a freak thing my rev d does this i only had it 2 months(refurb) although mine is very very little compared to yours but aluminuim + heat = screwed the tech assured me mine would not contort any further we shall have see !

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

A friend of mine has the exact same problem... she blamed it on the weight of her arms (where they rest on the PB's case) from all the typing she's done.

10. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I had an older PowerBook (Same Series) it started to do that, but before I could think about it I had a can of Pepsi spill on it :eek: so, I did not mind the warping to much. :cool: I know other people with the same problem (However not as bad as the picture you have provided) maybe you have a record for most warped PowerBook :eek: :D :rolleyes:

11. lucius thread starter macrumors member

Well having the most screwed up Alu Book in the world makes me feel a whole lot better :(

I guess I will have to call in my repair cover plan at Dixons and go without a laptop for weeks on end while they do nothing with it.

12. lucius thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought. I also wondered about the positioning of the optical drive. I have to say though, that this is pretty shoddy design. I am of average height and build - I don't have superhuman strength and I don't use my Powerbook as a percussion instrument... this kind of thing ought not happen.

I probably shouldn't criticise Apple but it seems to me that they have some serious flaws in their design/build process. I love the designs, from a form point of view, but I am not convinced about the utility and robustnesss of the Powerbooks.