Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C14ru5

macrumors member
Aluminum finish seems logical, as the displays are meant for the pro line and not the consumer line. 30 inches? *Phew!* That's so big that it almost poses a problem: You won't be able to move just your eyes from one edge to the other, you'll have to move your head as well. Is that fun?

notmatt

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by C14ru5
Aluminum finish seems logical, as the displays are meant for the pro line and not the consumer line. 30 inches? *Phew!* That's so big that it almost poses a problem: You won't be able to move just your eyes from one edge to the other, you'll have to move your head as well. Is that fun?

No worse than having two monitors. In fact, probably a little better - and there are plenty of people that work with three on a regular basis.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ok, well, anyone got a translation on that? I saw only a few things, like G5 and such ;)

D

First paragraph:

Originally posted on http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/
July 5th of 003 * as for new Apple Cinema HD Display as for display of
the next generation where aluminum mesh Apple is in the midst of
developing, it seems that adopts the mesh panel for the front part
with the frame of the aluminum material which can give community in
PowerMac G5 and the design which some days ago are announced.
According to information, also model line-up of current 17 inches, 20
inches and 23 inches is renovated, when there is also the preparation
of 30 inch model as a most significant type, it is thing.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
30" monitor

I've seen some stock people on TV that have like 5 monitors on their desk. THe 30" model would be good for them. I am going to buy the 20" model when I get a new computer in about a year. I just hope that prices don't rise with the aluminum revision.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I wondered if Apple would come out with Aluminum Displays or not.

But, 30 inches seems like it could be strenuous on your eyes if you are sitting a few inches from it.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Aluminum displays seems like a logical step. I mean, the G5 looks a little weird next to one of the current displays.

A 30" display would really kick a**, though. It may be bigger than what most people need, but some people may find it useful...

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Yeah right ? ? ?

July 5th of 003 * as for new Apple Cinema HD Display as for display of
the next generation where aluminum mesh Apple is in the midst of
developing, it seems that adopts the mesh panel for the front part
with the frame of the aluminum material which can give community in
PowerMac G5 and the design which some days ago are announced.
According to information, also model line-up of current 17 inches, 20
inches and 23 inches is renovated, when there is also the preparation
of 30 inch model as a most significant type, it is thing.
-----------

Well that clears things up a lot! :confused:

And people ask why we need 20-30 Ghz computers -- maybe so they can translate better in the future. heh.

tealcyfre

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2003
Multiple Market Monitors

It is my understanding that the multiple market monitors traders use are, as a rule, a function of the proprietary structure of the information providers. I don't believe it would be possible to integrate the information on a single screen for that reason--though I am not expert in this area and stand open to correction.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
30" display is not too big. I recently saw a 35" on eBay. But a 30" would be an awesome alternative to Dual Monitors. You could use it as your television.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
30" would be sweet. I sometimes use a 29" Barco monitor and it's sooo nice to have that much screen real estate. maybe they could introduce a (very) slight concave (i think) curvature to the screen so it's always the same distance away from your eyes when you turn your head...

oh well, i guess i won't be waiting for the rev.II any more, i'mma have to get a new G5 with 30" screen :rolleyes: welcome back debt.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I would consider it, I use two 17 inch monitors and "can't" work on one alone anymore. :D All the big apps begs for as much real estate as possible, Photohop and all the heavy 3D programs.
It would be nice too, if they were redesigned, they look odd with G5 and even the last G4's.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
yah, the new display will be 30in but the res will only be 1000x600. I love the apple displays, but why are the resolutions so low? I think the 15in and 17in powerbook resolutions are too low. i also think the 20 and 23 cinemas are too low for their size as well.

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
30 inches would be nice... at work we have 5 g4 1.42 systems each with 3 23" displays.... a 30" would be quite neat.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Hmmm a new 30" would most likely drop the price of a 23" down into the sub 2,000 range. Nice. :) I don’t know if I would be a big fan of aluminum. I think the current display casing is beautiful as is.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: 30" monitor

Originally posted by Pete_Hoover
I am going to buy the 20" model when I get a new computer in about a year. I just hope that prices don't rise with the aluminum revision.

Same here. When I finally was able to see and compare a 20" to a 23" monitor, the 23" was just way too large for my tastes and needs. So I said, "This monitor is too big." Then I took a look at the 17", which didn't seem too much larger than my 15" LCD display. But it still did not seem quite large enough to suit my needs. So I then said, "This monitor is too small." The 20", however, looked to be just right. So I ate it all up.

THE END.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. "Preparation" for a 30" Display could just mean Steve told the hardware guys to look into it. And what they ended up with is a big clunky thing that can't stand up, weighs 80 pound, has a resolution of 320 X 240, and cost $25,000.

Some preparation.....:)

P.S. It is just a theory.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
au contraire

Once you start using such a large monitor it changes your world. When I first got a cinema display it seemed huge. Now it feels comfortable.

For some apps you want the large area. These are spread sheets, drawing programs, DVD player, to name a few.

In other cases, it is nice to have several apps visible at once. You can have a WP window open in one place with a database open elsewhere and an email client in the corner.

One thing I've grown to like is using Preview with pdf documents and lots of zoom. The rendering is so much better when you have 150% zoom. Safari is nice for this as well. With a large window you can zoom in a little and make all those ultra-tiny fonts look normal.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by AndrewMT
No one has mentioned that it would take forever to scroll the cursor across a screen of that size.

Actually, screen size has no impact on how long it would take to move the pointer across the screen. The display resolution is what defines the amount of workspace you have.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Yeah right ? ? ?

Originally posted by BigJayhawk
-----------

Well that clears things up a lot! :confused:

And people ask why we need 20-30 Ghz computers -- maybe so they can translate better in the future. heh.

It's not a matter of having a faster computer, but having a translator that understands Asian language patterns better.

All the info is there though...17, 20, 23 inch models currently in the line will have the alumi mesh look and a 30 inch HD model will be added. They're still not ready for production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.