Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by frozenstar
Actually, screen size has no impact on how long it would take to move the pointer across the screen. The display resolution is what defines the amount of workspace you have.

You know what he means. :p

In all seriousness, though, I would be extremely happy if they released new monitors-and cheapened existing ones-I'm trying to save up enough money for a top of the line G5, and I've decided I can't live without at least a 20" LCD, and that I *want* the 23". Holy Jesus, 30"...

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
while that is true, it is assumed that when manufacturer a increases their monitor size the resoultion increaseses as well. for instance the 23" had a larger resolution then the 22".

this of course does not hold tru from mfgr to mfgr

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Pixelicious

once you go big, you can't go back. i've had a cinema display for years now and i can't imagine going smaller. i'd certainly be interested in a 30"HD screen. Bring on the pixels!

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Originally posted by AndrewMT
No one has mentioned that it would take forever to scroll the cursor across a screen of that size.
Can't you just change the reaction time/speed of the mouse ?

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
With a monitor that size...who needs to scroll?!? well if you did, more would show on the screen so you'd need to scroll less...problem solved

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I wonder if these will be rotateable to work in portrate mode...imagine how tall a 30" would be if this was the case...would be great for reaklly long documents and web pages though....

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Digital Hub Anyone?

Hasn't anyone seen the Dell plasma screens that they offer as an option with their computers? This 30" screen might be an answer to Dell.
But, the apple display would be better in several ways. First, the Dell plasma screen is really a television screen that hooks up to the computer. Apple's monitor would be a true computer monitor. Second, being a television screen, the Dell plasmas have low resolution. While apple may not have a 3200x2000 resolution on the new 30" screens, they will probably have at least the HD resolution of the 23". Third, with low resolution, the Dell screen can't offer many windows at the same time. With an HD 30" screen, a user could have many apps open at once, good for video work, programming internet sites, or--the Apple digital hub experience. You could have movies (or television) going at the same time that you surfed the internet, wrote email, or did a Keynote presentation. If the monitor were mounted on the living room wall, someone else could watch a movie on part of the screen while you did some work on another part, or you could expand the movie to the full screen, and listen to the 6.1 audio thanks to the Apple's optical digital out. IMHO, this is as much a product meant to put the apple computer into each family's living room as it is targeted at the video/photo/sound/coding professional.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
The first sign of the 30" was when Apple dropped the price on the 23" and left a "gap" at the $3,500 price point. Don't think that they will leave that gap unfilled too much longer, but wouldn't be surprised to see the 30" closer to $4,000. Maybe they will throw in a surprise for the $2,500 to $3,000 price point.

I think I will wait and see if the "old" 23" design is reduced in price when the new line is announced. It has always been sufficient to make me drool every time I look at it and I have a fear that the 30" would be too much for my old heart to take.:(

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
What about dropping the 17", and getting a widescreen 18" instead that would be cheaper than the current 17" :rolleyes:

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by kenaustus
It has always been sufficient to make me drool every time I look at it and I have a fear that the 30" would be too much for my old heart to take.:(

I fear that the 30" would be too much for my wallet to take. :D

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Digital Hub Anyone?

Originally posted by otter-boy
Hasn't anyone seen the Dell plasma screens that they offer as an option with their computers? This 30" screen might be an answer to Dell.
But, the apple display would be better in several ways. First, the Dell plasma screen is really a television screen that hooks up to the computer. Apple's monitor would be a true computer monitor. Second, being a television screen, the Dell plasmas have low resolution. While apple may not have a 3200x2000 resolution on the new 30" screens, they will probably have at least the HD resolution of the 23". Third, with low resolution, the Dell screen can't offer many windows at the same time. With an HD 30" screen, a user could have many apps open at once, good for video work, programming internet sites, or--the Apple digital hub experience. You could have movies (or television) going at the same time that you surfed the internet, wrote email, or did a Keynote presentation. If the monitor were mounted on the living room wall, someone else could watch a movie on part of the screen while you did some work on another part, or you could expand the movie to the full screen, and listen to the 6.1 audio thanks to the Apple's optical digital out. IMHO, this is as much a product meant to put the apple computer into each family's living room as it is targeted at the video/photo/sound/coding professional.

Yeah, and from what I've heard, plasma displays aren't all they're cracked up to be. Apparently, they use loads of energy and have a short lifespan. (Somebody told me 5 years, but I find that hard to believe. 'Course he DID work for Samsung Electronics.)

Squire

Edit: Wasn't there a thread about this a few months ago?

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by evoluzione
maybe they could introduce a (very) slight concave (i think) curvature to the screen so it's always the same distance away from your eyes when you turn your head...

That wouldn't increase the cost, would it;)

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Re: Re: Digital Hub Anyone?

Originally posted by Squire
Yeah, and from what I've heard, plasma displays aren't all they're cracked up to be. Apparently, they use loads of energy and have a short lifespan. (Somebody told me 5 years, but I find that hard to believe. 'Course he DID work for Samsung Electronics.)

He was right. Plasmas draw a lot of power, have low response times, and have pretty bad burn-in effects. After five years, you don't even want one anymore.

sinclairZX81

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
RAMTOP
so anyone heard anything new on this?
I got a price list from eyegonomic but they want $4000 for their 24". not sure I can justify spending 4 gees on a display, so if Apple are going to go aluminium I wanna know, dammit! :D

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
I read some rumor at appleinsider about some retailer being out of 17 inch studio displays and that he was told they were discontinued and were'nt being shipped to them anymore. heres the link.
17 inch display dicontinued

I've saved enough for a 20 inch display right now and was gonna go get one this week, but with macworld being so close i think i'll wait it out just in case new displays are relesed and or the price drops a lot. Also it would make a lot of sense for the 17 inch to go widescreen like the 20 and 23 are. I'd love to see a 30" display but hate to see the price. Maybe if the price drops a bit on the 23 i'll pick that up instead of the 20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.