Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyHammer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have an old powerbook g4 aluminum (2005?) mac that has a dead hard drive. It originally died just over a year ago and has been gathering dust since then. I took it to the apple shop, who said my extended 3 year guarantee had expired (by 1 month) and I had to pay £200 for a new hard drive. Screw that, so I went out I brought an imac desktop. Now I want to repair it myself, get a new hard drive, battery, charger and upgrade the RAM. I know the hard drive is an 80gb, but not too sure where I can get a replacement. I believe it is an IDE but they seem few and far between.

I have no issues doing the swap over myself, as I have opened up various PCs and games consoles in the past and I know what I am doing. I am just not that great at choosing the "correct" parts.

BTW, the problem with it is that when I turn it on its just a grey screen with that ever so loved spiny wheel, and does not boot into the OS.

I just want to make sure I get the right hard drive, not bothered if its an 80gb or slightly higher. Its purely for using the internet for.

Thanks guys

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Any Parallel ATA (PATA) 2.5" drive should work. It sounds like you're in the UK, though, so I can't recommend any particular vendor to buy from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.