Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I bought my Corsair ram for my Macbook off Newegg. It was $55 total for 2GB (1GBx2). Using for a month now and so far works perfectly.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
You sure about there? The store I work at has the last gen 24inch on demo and the back comes off to access the hard drive.

Yep. The back comes off only on the 24". That is why the wall mount only works on that model and not the 20" or the 17". Lame huh?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
http://www.crucial.com - fantastic in my experience. They've got a nifty "Memory Advisor tool" to help you pick. This is inexpensive RAM as opposed to cheap RAM - there's a difference.

Crucial is not inexpensive in the slightest. On the contrary, they're typically one of the most expensive you can find.

The memory advisor tool will give you a money-back guarantee that the memory will work in your computer, but they charge for it. If you use the tool, find what you need, and compare the the same piece of RAM found without using the tool on Crucial.com with the one found with the tool, you'll see how much they charge you for the guarantee.

I usually try to find new-in-box crucial memory on eBay, which tends to be much cheaper for the same product.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Arrgh. They STILL haven't fixed the biggest annoyance: The hard drive is a bitch to replace.

Hard drive failures are common, especially in lab environments where you have a large number of machines to knock that MTBF number down for the total systems. The thought of having to go through this procedure to swap failed hard drive on lab systems really annoys the crap out of me.

This WILL keep the iMac from being adopted in corporate/university/etc. environments where you have a lot of machines and frequent hard disk failures.

Why did you let us down again Apple? Why?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
From The Palo Alto Apple Store On A New Alunimum 24" iMac Keyboard

This thing reflects light from all over the place and the keyboard is horrendous. I can't tell you how bad this thing looks because I'm looking at so many reflections of stuff throughout the store behind me that it is pathetic you can't buy this baby matt. It's a lovely piece of art but this is a case of form preceeding function instead of vice versa. Not good. :(

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This thing reflects light from all over the place and the keyboard is horrendous. I can't tell you how bad this thing looks because I'm looking at so many reflections of stuff throughout the store behind me that it is pathetic you can't buy this baby matt. It's a lovely piece of art but this is a case of form preceeding function instead of vice versa. Not good. :(

That's what I don't get.. WHY are they forcing glossy displays on their "consumer" models? They still offer matte on their pro products... What, "consumers" are supposed to suffer with horrid reflections all the time?

Sorry Apple, you lose this time. It's going to be hard to recommend your products in the future. Give us a choice.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
For some reason I didn't realize that the whole screen was covered in glass, I thought it was just the black portion around the screen. Oh well.

I haven't seen one in person, but from the pictures it looks great. I was skeptical of glossy screens, but I saw them at an Apple Store and last week got a glossy MacBook (with iWork '06 preinstalled...good move, Sherlock), and I have to say I love it. There are reflections from time to time, but I've already come to not even notice, and you can't beat the brightness and contrast.

Looks great to me.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
hey well, i guess if your dying for an imac and want a matte screen, you can customize it.

That would be possible right?
:D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
From A Matt 20" ACD On A 2GHz C2D Mini In The Palo Alto Apple Store

Wow! What a difference the "old" keyboard and a matt screen make. It's no contest from where I stand in the Palo Alto Apple Store. This keyboard rocks and I just got my Bluetooth version today that I ordered yesterday from the refurb store for $49 after I saw what is replacing them yesterday morning.

There are ZERO reflections from behind me and looks plenty bright to me. I gotta stick with matt for the rest of my life so I guess I won't be buying any iMacs for this lifetime anyway. My keyboards need to have real traveling distance and cups for my fingers to feel rested in before they press down a significant distance. The "new" iMac is probably the WORST new Mac to come along since I can't remember when. Total disaster from where I stand. :(

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Wow! Look at that cooling system!

I'm sure its all necessary, but its still like the blue ball machine! Way to go Apple, wring every last drop of energy out of your engineering staff!

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Anyone know what latency apple uses in the 1 GB chip they put in there? Although from what I've seen nowhere is selling better than 5.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Buy The 1GB 24" Model + The OWC 4GB Kit For $230 and Up The Processor To 2.8 GHz

I saw in the presentation that there is only one screw to remove to get to the RAM. I am planning on buying a new 24" iMac when Leopard comes out and I would like it to be outfitted with 2 Gigs of RAM but it is $135 in the Apple Store on-line to upgrade to 2 Gigs. What is anyone's experience with buying cheap 3rd party RAM for their iMacs? Currently on newegg there are prices as low as $35 for TechWorks and as low as $45 for Corsair 1 Gig modules. Should it send up a red flag that there is THAT much of a price difference? OR should I be completely safe going with one of those sticks for my upgrade to 2 Gigs?
You buy the low end one 1GB stick 24" and ADD 2.8 GHz for $250. Then you buy TWO 2GB sticks from OWC for $230 and you have a really fast dual core iMac with plenty of RAM for the future.

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
Wow! What a difference the "old" keyboard and a matt screen make. It's no contest from where I stand in the Palo Alto Apple Store. This keyboard rocks and I just got my Bluetooth version today that I ordered yesterday from the refurb store for $49 after I saw what is replacing them yesterday morning.

There are ZERO reflections from behind me and looks plenty bright to me. I gotta stick with matt for the rest of my life so I guess I won't be buying any iMacs for this lifetime anyway. My keyboards need to have real traveling distance and cups for my fingers to feel rested in before they press down a significant distance. The "new" iMac is probably the WORST new Mac to come along since I can't remember when. Total disaster from where I stand. :(

I totally agree. The glossy screen sucks bigtime and the aesthetics of the thing are horrible. :(

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
i wonder how easy it was for him to remove the glass. it seems someone could make a matte screen cover to replace the glass or just black trim around the edge instead of the whole screen.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I totally agree. The glossy screen sucks bigtime and the aesthetics of the thing are horrible. :(

In a lot of environments an all-in-one computer is a good idea, but if you're going to lock people in there have to be choices at the point of purchase like a matte finish on the display.

Getting stuck with Steve Jobs' "selections du jour" is a big reason why I'll never buy an all-in-one. I return his lack of interest in selling a mid-priced box with expansion capabilities by refusing to give Apple my money. I let corporations buy or lease high end Macs and then buy from them when their financial cycle ends. A two year old pro tower is plenty of computer for home use.

I think this trend toward 6-bit displays with a gloss finish is terrible. Beyond the annoying reflections and dithering to get more than a few thousand colors is the simple fact that viewing angles suck on those things. The edges of modern wide displays are at a sufficiently different viewing angle from the middle to distort everything you're looking at, and a small shift in your chair changes the look of the whole screen. I will admit that there are fewer video artifacts on such displays, but video is a tiny fraction of the content I view on my screen.

sas76

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Australia

How long do you think it will be to someone offers a non reflective stickon screen for the iMac.

Cheers

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I think this trend toward 6-bit displays
It's an 8-bit panel. Your complaint might be valid for notebooks, but then it wouldn't be a "trend" at all--it's never been any different.
The edges of modern wide displays are at a sufficiently different viewing angle from the middle to distort everything you're looking at
These are contradictory concepts. If the edges are wide enough to shift colors, you're not able to look at them simultaneously with the center. Either you're sitting too close to the display or you mean something else. Your eyes shouldn't travel more than 15 degrees off-center to reach the edge of a display at the recommended viewing distance, and any photograph will show a consistent image across the screen at that distance.
How long do you think it will be to someone offers a non reflective stickon screen for the iMac.
If it truly bothers you, here's a solution: screen cover film

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Any thoughts on Kingston? I want to upgrade to 4gb and thought about getting this stuff from my local computer store. I know Kingston is a reputable manufacturer. I would get Micron or Samsung from OWC, but I'm not sure yet, especially because I'm in Canada and have reservations about warranty/customs. And is the warranty really void if you buy third party? That doesn't make sense to me.

Honest thoughts, plz.:D

Kingston RAM is good, but the KTA-MBP667/1G /2G are the ones that Kingston recommends for the intel Macs, not the KVR- ValueRAM series.

There are some good options for mail order within Canada too, for Kingston Micron and Samsung.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

Like I said in the other thread: the old Apple Keyboard sucks big time, and I know: I own one. The keys get repeatedly stuck when you try to push them. I constantly had problems with the Apple Keyboard, where I was typing some text, only to notice afterwards that some of the letters were missing because the keyboard got stuck. After talking with other users around the net, they just commented that "yeah, the keyboard does that". Totally unacceptable. I literally punched the keyboard several times when they keys simply would not budge.

As to the gloss.... I wouldn't be one bit surprised if we got an aftermarket matte-solution that replaces the glass in front of the screen.

My keyboards need to have real traveling distance and cups for my fingers to feel rested in before they press down a significant distance.

Again: like I said in the other thread: instead of wasting your money on the old Apple Keyboard, get one of the modern predecessors of the IBM Model M. Sure, it might not look as good as the Apple Keyboard, but since we are talking about keyboards, the function (typing-comfort, speed etc.) is way more important than the form of the keyboard.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK

I don't get it ... up until a very few years ago, practically every monitor you could buy was a CRT with glass over the front of it. Strangely, everyone seemed to manage just fine but now ... the merest sniff of a reflection on a screen and everyone seems to freak out ...

Not having a go at anyone, I'm just puzzled.

Cheers

Jim

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
I don't get it ... up until a very few years ago, practically every monitor you could buy was a CRT with glass over the front of it. Strangely, everyone seemed to manage just fine but now ... the merest sniff of a reflection on a screen and everyone seems to freak out ...

I hated it then, and I hate it now. I don't like how things look in it. This is a preference of mine. No one can change that, including Steve Jobs. He may transition all displays to glossy, but it's not going to change my view of glossy screens. I am thankful that when I bought my MBP I had a choice of Matte.

atzeX

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2005

Jim, all the good CRTs did _not_ reflect. The surfaces are chemical etched to avoid rerflection.

It is cheaper to build glossy LCDs...

The glossy displays will bring you headaches for free!
:(

ps. i do not believe Jobs that the most customers want it glossy!

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
It's an 8-bit panel.

The 20" is TN Film (6-bit).

The viewing angles for the 24" suggest a S-PVA or S-IPS (8-bit), but I would like confirmation of this before I buy.

Personally I wouldn't by another TN Film based iMac or monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.