Aluminum PB and the tiPB question?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Jan 25, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

My friend has a titanium PB and hes pretty rough on it and never any dents or dings. Another friend of mine has the 12 inch aluminum PB and she says it dents easy and dings. Does the aluminum Pb have a weaker case?

2. dr bognus macrumors newbie

titanium is a stronger metal than aluminium and i think that it is also more expensive, not to mention i think that the tibook got the design right wheras the aluminium books are weaker and the design isnt perfect, such as dents in the corner where there obviously isnt enough support etc...

Dr Bognus :) :) :) :) :)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The TiBook is a NIGHTMARE, never ending problems with paint chipping so I've heard...

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

This is ONLY my personal experience, and I don't pretend to believe it is necessarily typical, but- I have to say I am usually puzzled by the reports of easily damage AlBooks. My 12" is now about 4 months old and doesn't have a scratch on it. I take the simple step of putting it in a $20 (Tucano) skin case when I take it anywhere, but I don't think that's such a big deal, and furthermore that's a good idea no matter what your laptop. Yes I probably am careful with it, but I don't think inordinately so.

As for the TiBooks, I never owned one, but a friend did (500 MHz). Sure, it showed some age as time wore on, but I don't think it was above-average in that category for all the laptops I've ever seen.

Lastly, I have to mention that while Ti is generally better for most applications (and more expensive) than Al, not all Ti is created equal. I don't know where Apple sourced theirs, or its relative quality, etc.; just a tought.

5. roadapple macrumors regular

Nightmare? I have been using mine for three years (667 vga) and the paint has held up quit well, a few very small nicks near the drive, on the hinges and some wear neat the track pad, but no spontaneous peeling or the like, just what you would expect from using a notebook on the road.

What does bother me is the screen marks caused by the keyboard! Maybe i just pack my bag to full. I just bought a radtech cloth to place between them, but I think its alittle too late...

6. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The Ti is tougher by definition. the metal it's made of is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy stronger than aluminium. However for some reason none of us will ever comprehend Apple decided to paint the casing... with lousy paint, so it chips away with the smallest of contact.

The al. as far as I know is untreated aluminium (well not painted anyway) and therefore has an advantage over the titanium already.

My titanium is in ok condition. The paint is chipping especially around the edges mostly due to my watch when typing. But thats life.

Gonna replace it soon anyway! :D

7. efoto macrumors 68030

Ti is stronger and lighter than Alu however more expensive and harder to work with.

In the bicycle industry (where I spent many a year) Ti was the sweetest stuff but also viewed only for the richer than brains type person. Actually, good ol' cromoly steel (ultra purified of course ;) ) was one of the best rides ever.

On the casing of a laptop however, Ti is hard to get uniform in colour when used at temperature for bending and welding. The paint was more than likely a uniformity fix for the metal colour.

As stated above both Ti and Alu can be awesome or suck completely depending on quality and purity of the stated metals vs. the alloys that accompany them. I would guess that since the casing material is not a high-pressure or high-stress surface that Apple probably had some pretty poor quality Ti, using the 'cool-factor' of something being made of Ti.

Just my ,02. Makes sense to me though :D