Aluminum PB life span info?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dshootist, May 27, 2006.

1. dshootist macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    i've got an 80GB 1Ghz PB that i bought about 3 years ago and am waiting until more apps become Universal (and they fix more than 50% of the MBP issues) to get a replacement. this particular model has been taken very good care of (no scratches, dings, or other marks at all) since it's the only computer i use for my home/office/etc. and it has served me very well. i know that there are people out there still using Pismos/Lombards and that gives me some relief, but i'm looking for an average life span for the aluminum PBs or what some of the symptoms to look for before it takes the inevitable dirt nap.
  2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Once you get past the initial break-in (or should I say, break-down) period, the first year or so of use, when electronics are most vulnerable to failure, it should be good for four years at least. The display seems to the weakest point of any laptop. They tend to get dimmer over time with normal use. Then, if the backlighting burns out, then you're faced with a repair/replace decision. I intend on keeping my now three-year-old 12" Ai PowerBook for as long as possible, if only because Apple doesn't seem to be interested in the small laptop form-factors anymore.