Aluminum vs. Titanium Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by numediaman, Jan 15, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    Those of you in the troubleshooting forums know I have horrible issues with my three year old Titanium G4 Powerbook (its dead, can't get much worse than that).

So, I need a new one. I can still buy a Titanium model, with essentially the same chip and drive, for a lot less than a new Aluminum one. But should I?

For those who may have had both, what do you think of the new case versus the old? Any recommendations? (Then I must go to the store and buy winning lottery tickets -- fast.)
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    The Aluminum PB's aren't painted, so you won't have to deal with paint chipping. They are also very scratch resistant. AirPort reception is also better than the TiBooks. You're also getting newer technologies, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, backlit keyboard, faster bus...ect. Even though the processor speeds are the same, the AluBooks have double the L2 cache, which make them faster. At this point in the game, I wouldn't buy a TiBook. They're getting old.
  3. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    I have the Alluminum one. It's great!
    The white Spot issue has been resolved. Go for it!
  4. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    Thanks guys! Bring it on -- I'm going to make this decision within the next three hours. (I've been thinking about desktops for the past two months, I never thought my PB would need to be replaced.)

There seem to be a number of people all looking for laptop advice today -- strange. Sorry I added another topic to the forum, but . . .

I have a new external firewire CD burner, so I thought getting the SuperDrive would be nice (but money doesn't grow on trees, etc etc.) But although money is clearly a very important issue, I expect to have this computer for a few years (I'll get Apple Care, of course). My desktop is 7 years old -- and doing fine, thank you. This laptop is 3 years old. Looks like two new computers, and some debt, are coming my way. Gotta do my part for this sick economy (and Apple).

EDIT: Another thought -- someone on another forum here said the Powerbooks were "sexy" because of the slot loading DVD/CD drive. I beg to differ. There is nothing sexy about these drives. They cause all sorts of problems (my drive died months ago), and you can't use the mini-CDs in them (yes, I really do burn these occasionally). Also, I don't like having a G4 (vs. G5) but I realize it will be awhile before Apple can start shipping laptops with G5s in them (unless they really surprise us).

Lastly, it turns out that it may have been the logic board that is the culprit on my old Titanium G4. I'm letting a guy have a crack at replacing it before springing for a new laptop. A new G5 desktop is still my first priority -- though it will be very hard living without a laptop while this guy tinkers.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    al pb are great. havent had a problem with em.
  6. Santiago macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Mountain View, California
    Get the newer Aluminum one. How many times have you ever heard someone wish they had a better computer? How many times have you heard someone whine that they spent too much and this new computer is just too fast with a screen that's too big and crisp?
  7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I have the 15" 1.25 Ghz Al Powerbook. It is great. If you are thinking about creating DVD's with iMovie the superdrive is definetly worth it, a fantastic app. In addition you get more memory, faster processor and Airport built in. However it comes back to what you can afford. I have a 6 MP digital camera, and being able to backup my iPhoto album to DVD is very handy.
  8. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i had a TiBook 667 up until the new Al 15" PB came out, and i really loved that computer. now i've got a Al 15" 1.25GHz, which i'm glad i've got since i'm a design student the 667 TiBook was starting to show it's age. also, the extra capacity for RAM is important to me, i'm getting a 1GB stick soon (for a total of 1.5GB RAM :D yay!!)

but it is only 250MHz faster... before i got my Al PB i was seriously thinking about getting a 1GHz TiBook with superdrive. one of the first things i noticed with the new 15" is that it is noticable thicker. well... only .2" but i sure noticed it. personally i think that the TiBooks look much nicer, and i love the 1" thin size.

in fact, if i didn't need a laptop, and had to use a desktop for most of my work, i'd probably have a 1GHz TiBook just for sentimental reasons.

if you use your PB for work, photo editing, video, sound etc then you are probably definitely better off with a Al PB.

but if you've just an average person, a bit of iPhoto, iMovie then i'd say a TiBook would be fine.

another factor for me in choosing the Al PB was the backlit keyboard and other newer technologies.

but if you've used you old TiBook okay up until now.... might as well just go and get your self a 1GHz TiBook - the last of an era, the greatest laptop ever made. :)
  9. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    the Al's have MUCH BETTER airport reception --- which is pretty important these days

they're construction is real solid too

I would go with Al
  10. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I haven't used a TiBook, only have experience seeing them in the Apple store at user group meetings.

However, I do think the AlBooks look more finished than the Ti. The hinge seems much sturdier to me than the one on the Ti. The Al is certainly noticeably thicker, but not by much. There is no paint chipping to worry about, and the matching "solid-feel" keyboard is really nice functionally and aesthetically.

Money wise you're going to save with a TiBook..if that's a major factor.