Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Is it ok if you leave an imac always in sleep mode? Also, on an imac, does it matter which way you put in the disk into a slot drive? When you minimize things, like a webpage, you can minimize many things like on windows right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jer446 said:
Is it ok if you leave an imac always in sleep mode? Also, on an imac, does it matter which way you put in the disk into a slot drive? When you minimize things, like a webpage, you can minimize many things like on windows right?

Yes, okay to use sleep pretty much all the time instead of shutting down.

On the slot-load drive, I'm pretty sure you have to put in the disk right-side up (which I think means the label side faces you on the G5).

Yes, you can minimize many things. There are two different things which are similar to minimize on Windows. One is to minimize (apple-M or the yellow ball). The other is to hide (usually apple-H). The big difference is that if you minimize, it will show up on the dock, by the trashcan, but when you apple-tab or apple-tilde through the open apps / windows, you will *not* see that application. Whereas if you hide it, it will come back up when you Apple-Tab to it. But minimize as much as you want, with the caveat that those programs will still be consuming some system resources (although the system is pretty good at moving them into virtual memory and not serving them much cycle time).

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Since OSX, I now use Sleep mode when leaving the computer at the end of the day instead of powering it down. This never worked for me on OS9, but, has worked flawlessly for me in OSX. I only power down if I'm going on vacation or need to restart after an update. It's great having immediate access to your computer when you sit down in front of it instead of having to wait for it to power up each time.

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
MontyZ said:
Since OSX, I now use Sleep mode when leaving the computer at the end of the day instead of powering it down. This never worked for me on OS9, but, has worked flawlessly for me in OSX. I only power down if I'm going on vacation or need to restart after an update. It's great having immediate access to your computer when you sit down in front of it instead of having to wait for it to power up each time.

yup. same here. but sometimes I restart for the fun of it. It's an old windows habit ;)

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
TreeHugger said:
yup. same here. but sometimes I restart for the fun of it. It's an old windows habit ;)
Same here. I was actually used to powering down/up the computer several times a day when I was a Windows user. OS9 eliminted the need for multiple restarts during the day, and OSX has made it a very rare occurrence (I'm still using 10.3.9).

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Another iMac (G3, though) user here--I usually go weeks between shutdowns or restarts. To be fair, though, my Wintel laptop at work can sometimes go a couple of weeks before desperately needing to be rebooted.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, one more little addendum. Occasionally, even in MacOS X, like in other OSes, you might see "leaks" where programs fail to de-allocate RAM, and as a result, at some point your performance tanks and eeeeevvvvveeerrrrryyyytttthhhiiiiingggggg iiiisssss ssssssooooo ssssssllllllooooowwww. :)

In that case, it still isn't necessary to restart; from what I've seen, it is sufficient to just close every open program and wait a couple seconds, and then usually garbage collection is quite effective and you can go back to normal. :)

EasyB

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2005
What about on an airplane?

Do you think it is ok to bring your powerbook on the airplane in sleep mode? It sure does save allot of battery when you don't need to boot up all the time. :cool:

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
haven't actually been on a plane with my powerbook, but I would definitely only put it in sleep mode. Especially with airport security... Usually you have to show them that your computer works and isn't a bomb. Just waking it from some z's will be much faster than booting up.

Applespider

macrumors G4
TreeHugger said:
haven't actually been on a plane with my powerbook, but I would definitely only put it in sleep mode. Especially with airport security... Usually you have to show them that your computer works and isn't a bomb. Just waking it from some z's will be much faster than booting up.

Sleep mode on a flight is fine - just remember to turn off Airport. They've stopped asking for you to prove it works now each time (presumably they're more common now!)- you just have to take it out of its case so it can be Xrayed at least in the US. In Europe, they're quite happy just to let it stay in your carry-on and only look if they see a problem.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
Sleep mode on a flight is fine - just remember to turn off Airport. They've stopped asking for you to prove it works now each time (presumably they're more common now!)- you just have to take it out of its case so it can be Xrayed at least in the US. In Europe, they're quite happy just to let it stay in your carry-on and only look if they see a problem.

You can sleep it on a train, you can sleep it in a plane! You can sleep it when it rains, you can sleep it when in Spain! :D

I made the mistake of forgetting to take my laptop out of my carry-on recently once and it was a *huuuge* rigamarole. Although they didn't seem very mad at me. :eek:

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
mkrishnan said:
You can sleep it on a train, you can sleep it in a plane! You can sleep it when it rains, you can sleep it when in Spain! :D

I live in spain :p and my ibook is never off, just asleep

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I usually leave my ibook in sleep, or off. My Mini is always on, it just puts the HD and display to sleep

Ed

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
TreeHugger said:
Usually you have to show them that your computer works and isn't a bomb.
Isn't that the stupidest way to check if your laptop is a bomb? I mean, won't some clever terrorist eventually figure out how to make a working laptop explode? If so, it'll probably be a Dell laptop anyway.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MontyZ said:
If so, it'll probably be a Dell laptop anyway.

Well, it isn't like there's not ample room inside some of those Inspirons... :D 12" iBooks and PBs on the other hand, are pretty much full already. Plus, I think they figure I can't be a terrorist when they see I have a hot pink keyboard and hearts all over my screen background. ;)

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Plus, I think they figure I can't be a terrorist when they see I have a hot pink keyboard and hearts all over my screen background.
HAHAHA! I'd love to see a photo of that.

SchmoBurger

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2005
Australia
Anyone who has ideas of blowing up a Powerbook should not be allowed to live... it would be heracy!

As far as sleeping goes... well, my Lombard hasn't been restarted in almost a month. It is running 10.3.6. :cool:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
When you want to put an app aside, for instance iTunes, click the red X ball on the window. Then do CMD+H to hide it. This makes it take way less RAM.

Please note, this only works on programs like Mail, iTunes, iChat, etc. It doesn't work on any documents like TextEdit, Word, etc.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The sleep mode is alright. With my Power Mac I leave it on all the time. Just have the monitor go into sleep mode to conserve power and the screen. Leaving the Mac on allows Mac OS X to run its routine maintenance scripts on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
My computer needs to sleep during the day, or I come home to a room that's about the temperature of the sun.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
jer446 said:

On our iMac I have it set to go to sleep in an hour of inactivity. I may change this to just spin down the hard drive and turn off the screen so it can do maintenance at night.

On our iBooks and PowerBooks I have them set to simply spin down the HD and turn of the screen. They never go to sleep. They've been doing that for 5(?) years. Power drain is very minimal and that way they are awake to do maintenance at night. Works great. I am an errattic sleeper and often get up to do stuff in the middle of the night.

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2005
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
Ive got the new imac g5, its in my bedroom,
ive had it a month or two now,I shut it down each night when i go to bed, because, after trying it in sleep mode, i can hear it. Is this normal???? not sure if its the fans i can hear or the harddrive, but it makes that kinda noise,, is that normal,,,,,

anyway,, is there a way to black my screen out,(guess could make a black screen saver) but would like to turn the screen off, which would be better, so that i can keep my tunes on????
and then set auto sleep for after im asleep?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.