Always-on DSL connection

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by hestres, Jun 16, 2002.

1. hestres macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Thanks to all who answered my posting on using Verizon DSL with OS X...it was actually easier to set up with OS X than with 9! :D

Some of you mentioned I could make my DSL truly "always-on", which it currently isn't. How do I configure OS X to make the connection "always-on"? If I need additional software, what do I need? I currently use Brickhouse to turn on OS X's firewall. I can't afford any hardware (router, AirPort, etc.) right now, and don't really need it anyway. Thanks!

Hestres

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What do you mean by "it currently isn't" always-on? It should be... unless you turn off your computer, of course! That is, if you're using PPPoE, which is the case with Earthlink DSL, not sure about Verizon. But as long as your computer's up and running and you're connected, that should be it. Your connection may go "idle" after awhile, but it should never disconnect (unless your network preferences are set to disconnect after a certain period of idle time.)

Does your Verizon DSL use PPPoE?

3. hestres thread starter macrumors newbie

Hemingway,

I use PPPoE to connect to Verizon. When my iBook is in use the connection works fine...never drops out, etc. But when I close it (meaning, put it to sleep) and reopen it, the connection has been disconnected and I have to reconnect. This takes less than 30 secs, but I'm soooo lazy I'd like to be like a LAN connection at work, where the connection is instantly available when the Mac is running. Thanks! :D