Always open new links in Tab - SAFARI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squirrelonfire, Sep 27, 2006.

1. squirrelonfire macrumors member

Sep 14, 2006
    How can you make safari always open new links in tabs. I don't like the fact that I have to hold shift and left click, it really slow me down.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.:confused:
  2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    There's no way to make this the default behavior, unfortunately.

To open in new tabs you command-click, btw.
  3. squirrelonfire thread starter macrumors member

Sep 14, 2006
    Saft Demo

I dowloaded Saft Demo
    It lets you always open a new windows in a tab. Plus other features like creating more short cuts w/ your defined buttons, u now can block ads, banners from the menu (instead of going to preferences). And tons of other features, u can read it at that li nk above.
    Thanks 4 replying.
  4. soveet macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2009
  5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2006
    There is also glims, which is a free plugin (now compatible with safari 4 too). This particular behavior of safari has always bugged me, and the first thing I always end up doing is finding a way to add it. Glims is my favorite plug-in so far that adds this function.
  6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2007
    Covington, WA, USA
    I found this Terminal command some time ago. It didn't work in the developer preview of Safari 4 but it does work in the Safari 4 beta for me. You must quit Safari first then restart.

defaults write TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true
  7. soveet macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2009
    even i am using glims. but it does nt open certain links in tabs like links from your gmail account. for those u need this terminal hack.
  8. duffer macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2007
    This is the only reason I don't use Safari. If only we had tab mix plus for Safari.

I think I have tried the terminal hack before without success. I will give it another go. Thanks.
  9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

Dec 25, 2008
  10. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I'd be careful about installing plugins on the Safari 4 beta. There have been some stories on the forums recently about plugins really screwing it up. Unfortunately I can't remember any of them at the moment.
  11. duffer macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Still no love from Terminal. Tried Saft also. Still doesn't work. Looks like I'm staying with Firefox.

Edit: I was wrong, it does work for me. Any website with target="_blank" works.

I want every link to open in a new tab.