Always open new links in Tab - SAFARI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squirrelonfire, Sep 27, 2006.

1. squirrelonfire macrumors member

How can you make safari always open new links in tabs. I don't like the fact that I have to hold shift and left click, it really slow me down.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.:confused:

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There's no way to make this the default behavior, unfortunately.

To open in new tabs you command-click, btw.

3. squirrelonfire thread starter macrumors member

Saft Demo

I dowloaded Saft Demo
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/saft.html
    It lets you always open a new windows in a tab. Plus other features like creating more short cuts w/ your defined buttons, u now can block ads, banners from the menu (instead of going to preferences). And tons of other features, u can read it at that li nk above.
    Thanks 4 replying.

4. soveet macrumors newbie

soveet

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

There is also glims, which is a free plugin (now compatible with safari 4 too). This particular behavior of safari has always bugged me, and the first thing I always end up doing is finding a way to add it. Glims is my favorite plug-in so far that adds this function.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I found this Terminal command some time ago. It didn't work in the developer preview of Safari 4 but it does work in the Safari 4 beta for me. You must quit Safari first then restart.

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

7. soveet macrumors newbie

soveet

even i am using glims. but it does nt open certain links in tabs like links from your gmail account. for those u need this terminal hack.

8. duffer macrumors regular

This is the only reason I don't use Safari. If only we had tab mix plus for Safari.

I think I have tried the terminal hack before without success. I will give it another go. Thanks.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd be careful about installing plugins on the Safari 4 beta. There have been some stories on the forums recently about plugins really screwing it up. Unfortunately I can't remember any of them at the moment.

11. duffer macrumors regular

Still no love from Terminal. Tried Saft also. Still doesn't work. Looks like I'm staying with Firefox.

Edit: I was wrong, it does work for me. Any website with target="_blank" works.

I want every link to open in a new tab.