Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
I know there has been a lot of stuff floating about recently with the new nano's getting scrathed so i thought i'd post this to give anyone new to the nano a kinda reference on what to expect.

I got mine today and i wasn't taking any chances with the thing getting scratched so i put my decals on which i had bought previously from decalgirl.com. SPOT ON!! they are great and cover the i nano briliantly. I also invested in a screen protector because i didn't want my nano looking like my phone screen i.e. ****.

I am going to buy a rubber cover though because the sides are just not protected enough (If at all) so i'm going to fork out $30 for one off speck producks.com. they seem decent enough and if they save me scratching my new toy even better.

As for my first opinions on the nano, GREAT! Took no time to put 1.4GB of music onto it (About the same time it took me to make a cup of Tea.) The sound quality is great and the headphones are comfy as hell. Overall i'm really chuffed.

For all those people who have been moaning about their i pods getting scratched i would say do your homework before you buy. I just bought a laptop today after about 3 weeks of looking and i managed to get one for 440 from 700 quid, so like i said it pays to look around.

I hope everyone has as much fun with their i pod as i have and i hope this post has been of some help to those of you who are looking for some advice.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
dannyboi said:
I know there has been a lot of stuff floating about recently with the new nano's getting scrathed so i thought i'd post this to give anyone new to the nano a kinda reference on what to expect.

I got mine today and i wasn't taking any chances with the thing getting scratched so i put my decals on which i had bought previously from decalgirl.com. SPOT ON!! they are great and cover the i nano briliantly. I also invested in a screen protector because i didn't want my nano looking like my phone screen i.e. ****.

I am going to buy a rubber cover though because the sides are just not protected enough (If at all) so i'm going to fork out $30 for one off speck producks.com. they seem decent enough and if they save me scratching my new toy even better.

As for my first opinions on the nano, GREAT! Took no time to put 1.4GB of music onto it (About the same time it took me to make a cup of Tea.) The sound quality is great and the headphones are comfy as hell. Overall i'm really chuffed.

For all those people who have been moaning about their i pods getting scratched i would say do your homework before you buy. I just bought a laptop today after about 3 weeks of looking and i managed to get one for 440 from 700 quid, so like i said it pays to look around.

I hope everyone has as much fun with their i pod as i have and i hope this post has been of some help to those of you who are looking for some advice.

Glad to hear that the decalgirl skin went on nice. I have one for my nano, which is sitting at customs in China, at the moment :mad: . I opted for the clear one that covers the wheel and screen, made of the same material as the screen cover is. Anyways, I agree, if you buy a $200+ item you should look into what is needed to go along with it, and with the nano's on a 1+ week wait, there is plenty of time to order some kind of protector and get it before you receive the iPod.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
rubber cover won't protect the sides of your ipod from all scratches. they may even scratch it more.

this1chick

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2005
to mrgreen..

mrgreen, could you please provide us with an update once you've received your nano and applied the crystal protector from decalgirl? i've had the same thing sitting in my decalgirl cart for a few days and i'm still debating, but it seems like it would work fine (except for the sides). i'm just planning on sticking those on and putting it straight into my armband... hopefully that will be enough protection. thanks! :D

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Actually, this thread subject gave me a thought... Silly as it may be:

How practical might it be to use an unlubricated, er... rubber... to protect the nano?

Before you yell at me, consider that professional audio recording people (such as in ENG, film crews, videography) commonly suggest them as a method for protecting (waterproofing) microphones.

Just a thought :p

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
notjustjay said:
Actually, this thread subject gave me a thought... Silly as it may be:

How practical might it be to use an unlubricated, er... rubber... to protect the nano?

Before you yell at me, consider that professional audio recording people (such as in ENG, film crews, videography) commonly suggest them as a method for protecting (waterproofing) microphones.

Just a thought :p

lol, i dont want to know what kind of "films" you have been working on, or what youve been doing with those microphones ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Based on the title of this thread, how long before we see a Nano being 'protected' by a condom?

:rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i have played around with a few freinds nano's and they treat them like ****, sure their are scratches but they are hardly visible unless you look for them, if you cant stand the nano's scratches your a perfectionist, it's no worse than my 3rd gen 20GB.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
It's very early, but at first glance I thought this thread was started by Dr. Ruth ... "Always use protection."

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have been using

3750.jpg

Works great, Just need a piece, a pair of scissors , and a little patience.

I have had my nano since just before one week after they were unveiled. And as you can see, with package tape, no scratches on the front, or the back.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6802.jpg
    IMG_6802.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6795.jpg
    IMG_6795.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 114

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
Hector said:
i have played around with a few freinds nano's and they treat them like ****, sure their are scratches but they are hardly visible unless you look for them, if you cant stand the nano's scratches your a perfectionist, it's no worse than my 3rd gen 20GB.
i work with apple. if you can't see the scratches on these things after an hour in your pocket you are blind, the black just exaggerates them.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
BrianKonarsMac said:
i work with apple. if you can't see the scratches on these things after an hour in your pocket you are blind, the black just exaggerates them.

i can see the scratches, i just fail to see why anyone would care, they are no worse than my 3g ipod.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
One to protect the screen I found is to:

Take the tape plastic stuff off of the dock adapter that came with your nano and use that for a screen cover. Cut the edges off and you're good to go.

As for the rest of the iPod, I don't see any differance from third gen..

I'll just get one of those speck cases, but I'm not into the idea of decals and things you have to get wet first..a case will be fine.

Some other points:

1.I took that dock adapter thing into the local apple store here and it didn't fit into any dock they had, the employees seemed quite perplexed...Anyone get the adapter to fit into a dock?

2.how lame is it that hardly any nano cases/accesories are available...that sucks..

Other than those two points, I think the Nano is amazing...practically perfect..

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
NicP said:
lol, i dont want to know what kind of "films" you have been working on, or what youve been doing with those microphones ;)

:eek:

Seriously, it's a common technique. CNN reporters use the trick to keep their mics dry when they tape hurricane footage, etc.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just bought a black 4GB at lunchtime ;) but haven't taken it out of the box yet for fear of scratches :( . Like the poster above, I'm also glad to hear that the decalgirl skin went on nice. I have one on order for my nano, but it hasn't shipped yet, and I don't plan to open the box until it gets here (but how can I wait?). I opted for the clear one that covers the wheel and screen, made of the same material as the screen cover is; has anybody here tried this one and if so how does it look? I sure hope somebody comes out with a clear hardcase sometime soon.

devil13

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
nano contacts transfer

I have two questions I hope someone can help me with

First when I transfer an individual contact from outlook with a windows machine the zip code comes out on the nano as " United States of America " and doesn't show the zip coed, any ideas how to fix ?

Second is there any way to transfer al my palm pilot files to nano at once ? when you change to vcp. files ( i think it's called ) only the first file in the list exports, thanks in advance everyone

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
devil13 said:
Second is there any way to transfer al my palm pilot files to nano at once ? when you change to vcp. files ( i think it's called ) only the first file in the list exports, thanks in advance everyone

Palm Desktop can export your contacts as Vcards. Use that. (well, Mac edition at the least)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
mymemory said:
This thread should be called: How to make a nano a mini.
Well yes, I had been all ready to buy a mini when the nano came out, and still prefer it in some ways. I bought the nano because it was the newest thing (and likely not to get outdated as quickly b/c of that fact), because of the flash (no mechanical hard drive to crash), and because of the brilliant color screen which is so easy to read. However, I still find the mini a more comfortable size, and much prefer the more scratch-resistant nature of the aluminum casing; besides, it just feels more solid to me. I think that Apple would have been much smarter to announce the nano as an adjunct, and also do a color-screen version of the mini. Perhaps they still will...

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
danny_w said:
I think that Apple would have been much smarter to announce the nano as an adjunct, and also do a color-screen version of the mini. Perhaps they still will...

Um, no. The mini is gone, which is sad, but thats just how it is. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.