Alzheimer's disease cause identified?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jan 12, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    An estimated 15 million suffer from Alzheimer's world wide. John Disterhoft of the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University, Chicago, and colleagues studied a strain of Alzheimer's disease-prone mouse to try to find out. As the animals age, Aß (Amyloid Beta proteins) levels rise and their memory declines - the rodents are less able to remember cage mates and learned locations. They think that this protein may be the cause of mental decline.
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

Take the BACE1 (and then not producing the AB) out of the brain and the people get better.

Sounds like a plan.

Hope testing (in humans) is a go!
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    There's many factors that researchers believe will help to put a prevention to this disease, but nothing is ever final. It makes me think there's just as many, if not more, contributing factors which cause it that we all don't know about yet.
  4. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2003
    my stepfather is the associate professor in that study. Boo-Ya.
  5. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    A fact to note: people who ingest large amouns of aluminum over time are much more likely to develop alzheimer's disease
  6. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My mother has dementia/Alzheimer's. She was fine last Christmas. Last Spring forgetful. Due to agitation was moved to a nursing home. Last Fall not able to answer a question when I called her on the phone. Now she no longer talks on the phone. My brother say that when he visits, she just smiles. Ocassionaly with a yes or no.

For her this research is too late. Hopefully something will be available in time for Baby Boomers.
  7. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    Sorry to hear about that man, I too have witnessed a family member deteriorate due to Alzheimer's. My family was fortunate that he never forgot his wife and was so socialy adept that he'd understand that he should know you and engage in some small talk. Even still it was tough on his kids and grandkids, who recalled the vibrant & boisterous man he was.

I hope a cure can be found, it would save so much grief and restore so much dignity to many sufferers.
  8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    What is the difference between Alzheimer's and senility? Is there one?
  9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    They are essentially synonymous. The term senitlity is an older term, along with dementia. Both mean a deterioration of brain function. Here is an expansive explanation of Alzheimer's definition, cause, & treatment. If you go to the bottom of each page it will give you additional information.
  10. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    There are other forms of dementia. Alzheimer's is just one form.
  11. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Here is some information on other types of dementia. The debilitating results occur in all of them.
  12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    Nothing in biology is as simple as it seems. There are many "causes" of a pathology. Fortunately the pace of progress is increasing rapidly.

Much like "cancer" is a generic term describing unchecked cellular proliferation, senility would be a generic term describing slowed cognition. Alzheimer's is a specific process of neural degeneration in a part of the brain.

There are many studies investigating Alzheimer's. Just go to pubmed and search for it.
  13. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia

a couple of weeks ago i saw a story on the TV about a possible treatment to reduce the possiblility of alzheimers. this was for people not yet affected by alzheimers, more of a perventative measure. and what they thought could help is a perscription of anti-inflammatories. it has something to do with the brain swelling... well that's the best i can remember it right now.

interesting stuff.
  14. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I totally agree with you. Prevention is the best way to treat the disease. With the aging of Baby Boomers, it has definitely increased the pace of research.
  15. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i was reading that if you stimulate your mind a lot, you decrease the risk of poor memory in old age, whether or not this affects alzheimer's i dunno, but hey i hope they find a cure, its difficult to watch a love one forget everyone around them