AM/FM/XM Radio for iPod!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Apple!Freak, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I have yet to see a FM Radio attachment for the iPod. Why doesn't someone make something like the iTrip but the other way around. It picks up radio transmissions and allows you to listen to AM of FM radio.

Does anyone know of such a product? I know if someone made this I surley would pick one up. It puzzles me why apple doesn't include an AM/FM radio in the iPod itself. A receiver is extremely small as I have seen incredibly small AM/FM radios so I just don't understand why they dont do it.

Hopefully the next upgrade by August or something will be the G5 iPod with AM/FM/XM radio. That would be very cool!

Some company should devolpe a product like this to go right ontop of the iPod for us G4 ipod owners who doesn't want to dish out another $300 for the update in August say they are to include something like this to give the iPod AM/FM and if they are really cleaver XM radio which you would still have to subsribe to and all.

I would pay up to $49.99 for an AM/FM however $29.99 or $39.99 would be a lot better and up to $99.99 for an XM radio extension. :)

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

a G5 iPod, wow! that would be a powerful iPod! people say 60gb is too much storage but surely a G5 in a iPod would be under used.

sorry just had to say that! :)

with regards to a reciever in the ipod i dont think it is particuarly needed. well maybe not as being built in. it would (probably) make the ipod heavier and have shorter battery life when being used any would make it more to produce, so would be more expensive to us. when i have used portable radios in the past i have found them to be pretty ropy and not great quality. and with all that storage, who needs to listen to the radio when there is so much to listen to!

3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

LOL! Not a G5 processor, a G5 iPod as in Generation 5.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

it's 5G. and it would be cheaper to buy a portable radio. ;) ;)

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

It's 5G, not G5. ;)

Griffin Technologies was working on a product that attached to the iPod and picked up AM/FM radio, but they abandoned it right after the 3G iPod's came out. They said they couldn't get it to work with the 3G's.

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Apple should make build-in Am/Fm radio. :D

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

A while back Griffin made - or at least announced - a device called iFM that was an FM radio add-on for the iPod. I was excited about this because I'd seen this as the one shortcoming of iPods.

But... the device quickly withered and died, as far as I can tell. And talking to others, I've found that almost no one cares. We're in the minority - most folks apparently don't particularly want a radio for the iPod. Probably why Apple didn't see fit to build one in. :(

I've resorted to carrying a $15 Koss AM/FM mini-radio around so I can listen to "All Things Considered" on the train in the mornings.

Edit: It's always funny to hit the "Post" button and then find that one or two others were typing more or less the same thing at the same time I was. :D

8. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Isn't that what this thread is about? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the data!!!

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You are very quick. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was agreeing with the thread. :cool:

10. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

:cool:

11. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

There's an FM Reciever now. Battery Technology Inc showed a prototype of a FM Reciever and Transmitter during the Expo. Should be out in March. Story is on ipodlounge.com somewhere.

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

-the point of an iPod and mp3 players is to listen to the music you want to listen to.

13. AnewMac macrumors regular

IMO I dont want radio, thats why I bought an iPod and my hundreds of iTunes songs.

My 2 cents...

14. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Obviously people want radio on their iPod as you can see in this thread. On iPods their are also games, photos, and documents which are not music. The radio offers free music that appeal to everyones tastes and talk radio. People want choice and sometime you get tired of music and want to listen to "LoveLine".

15. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Problem about just listening to the iPod and never the radio, is your iPod will get stale after a while. There won't be many new songs going in. You need a little bit of both to attain a good, healthy, balanced iDiet.

You hear a new song on the radio. You go and buy/download it. Your iPod gets a new song. Repeat.

16. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

I agree about the FM part and having an iPod to listen to the music you want to listen too however I bet I'm not the only talk radio junkie here. I have a local AM radio station I listen to almost all day. It's not just political talk either. It's local talk, weekend "helpful hint" talk, News, stuff like NPR, finance shows, etc.

I'd love an iPod where I could listen to either a local talk station OR Satelitte talk radio.