Am i abusing my powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joystik, Oct 23, 2005.

1. joystik macrumors member

hey guys i recently bought a powerbook g4 12"...great machine..i switched from pc..to mac..because i am tiered of viruses..pop ups..spy wares and all that bull crap. but anyways..i use my powerbook alot..about 5 hours at a time..it gets really hot..am i abusing it? mostly at school browsing...maybe some games...music..and stuff like that.

2. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

continued use will put alot of ware on your battery it will probally have to be replaced in the distant future

3. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

PowerBooks are known to get hot. Shuting it down for awhile to cool is always a good thing though. My old 667MHz G4 PB got hot.

4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

5. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

just keep off from pillows or blankets, which keep it from getting rid of excess heat.

I use my powerbook FAR more than 5 hours a day, and I like to think that I baby it:cool:

(five-hundredth)

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Your machine is working just fine. I have two batteries, one with hundreds of cycles on it, it still gets me 1.5 hours. My backup battery gets about 3+ hours of up time with just 45 cycles. Between the two, I get better than 5 hours up time. If I am just word processing, and I max the power saving features, I can eek out 8 hours of on and off (rare short sleeps) use in lectures.

Plugged in and unplugged it gets at least 8 hours of work every day. The advice about insulating materials is a good one. My work table at home is glass, which helps disapate heat well.

EDIT Below

It's all good unless you go blind.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

> Am i abusing my powerbook?

> it gets really hot

> just keep off from pillows or blankets

:eek:

Children, cover your eyes!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I use my PowerBook for hours a day every day. If i am abusing it then so be it. Everyone recommended a Mac to me for numerous reasons. If it cannot handle how I use it then I'd go back to a PC--which could handle my usage. Popups, Virus, Spyware, etc were not a huge issue for me because I maintained it quite well. yes it took time and effort, but it worked for me.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Youre not abusing it. Trust me :)

My Powerbook runs for much, much more than 5 hours and it's fine. I don't even think there's really a time limit, if there is, it's weeks until you'd want to reboot

10. cjc343 macrumors 6502

My powerbook runs 24/7 when I'm not travelling (which isn't often, and by no means daily...)

For about a year, it not only ran all day, but it ran with the CPU processing at 100% all the time.

Hasn't caused me any problems yet.

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

LOL.

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Yes, the 12" PB can get pretty hot by just surfing around on the internet. One option to help is when you don't need it, turn Processor Performance in Energy Saver to Reduced. This will slow the processor down and in return reduce heat. When you need the power (like websites with advanced flash stuff) then turn the performance back up to Automatic or Highest.

Abusing your laptop? Not at all. If you are playing a game, like Doom 3 for 5 hours, then you might be abusing your laptop. I have seen the graphics card in my 12" PB reach 197° F (92° C for all our non-American friends) after about 2 hours of play. And yes, I played Doom 2 on a PB and I got 15 FPS:D.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Download (and run :p) ThermoGraphX. It will tell you all you need to know, and much more that you don't really care about and never needed to know.

14. sukhoi macrumors newbie

lol

15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

if you're too worried about battery cycles and all that, plug it out and plug in the Power Adapter...
    the Powerbook gets hot pretty fast so np whasoever with that...your powerbook should be fine...

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that you are abusing your PowerBook at all. You are just getting the use out of as designed.

17. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

powerbook naturally gets quite hot

but that's okay... but don't leave it on for 25/7

also.... if u aren't using the screen for an extended period...

dim the screen light till it's dark while the PB is still on...

otherwise... just sleep it

also... don't place ur PB on a soft surface (e.g. ur bed)... leave it on a table where ventilation is better

18. The Past macrumors 6502

I use mine about 10-14 hours a day and sometimes non-stop. This is my 18th month with this PB. No problems yet (touched wood) except power which I have been dealing with right from the start.