Am I allowed to ask a Flash question?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

If so... I have two! :)

1. I want to make a jump-list in Flash (much like the HTML type you can make). What I'm trying to do is on one side of my Flash movie have a scrolling list of all this guy's recordings, and then when you click on the names of the records, for it to jump to a frame in the movie which contains information about that record. I'm pretty sure I should be able to achieve this with the ListBox Component, but I just can't find much information about how to code it. Any tips?

2. I think I'm getting there with this one, but any tips would be very helpful: I'm trying to use Flash to display information from a MySQL database, using PHP. I can do this very easily with HTML, but am not having much luck with Flash.

If anybody knows of good online tutorials that deal with either of these things, or could direct me to any good online beginner Actionscript stuff, I'd be very grateful!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For the jumping issue, can't you just use the GoToAndPlay(scene, frame#) or GoToAndStop(scene, frame#)?

The PHP and MySQL issue is something I'm currently working on and hope to have figured out this week. I'll let you know when I get it done, both reading and writing to the database from Flash.

D

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

ta

Yeah, I can use GotoandPlay, but I can't actually work out how to attach that action to each item in a list (at least using ListBox). I can of course just separate the list in twenty-five buttons... but it's not as easy to edit, and then I can't scroll the buttons without some more stuffing around. You know what I mean?

I've just got a book about the PHP/MySQL thing, by Friends of ED - it seems good, but is very in-depth, so it'll take a while to get through.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: ta

Friends of ED is probably one of the best resources, I've got about 5 of their flash books. Not the PHP/MySQL one. I might be coming to you for help on that :D

D

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

it's called Flash MX Applications. Yeah, it's good... but really badly edited (for grammar etc). Man, I reckon I'm going to call them and see if they need help on the 2nd edition!

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

PHP/MySQL tutorials/examples for Flash are few and far between.

I'll have to check that book out and see what it's got.:)

7. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you - that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Simple, to-the-point. I hadn't come across Developer Shed before, but I'm very impressed.

Thanks again.

8. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Yeah. DevShed rocks. Lots of useful articles. And the Forums there are great. Cheers.