Am I alone for a MacTablet PC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

EDIT: Keep in mind, when I mentioned a "tablet" I was looking in a broader term. Something that would not be much larger than a common book at Borders.

Wasn't sure where to post, so I chose the Community Forum.

I would love to see a tablet PC Mac. The specs of my dream MacTablet would be (in no particular order):

- 5x7 to 8x9 inch screen

- BT and Airport built-in

- slide out keyboard that some phone/pda's and pda's have

- CF and SD card slots for file transfer and expansion

- at least a 60gb HDD for apps and storage

- an iPod like "wheel" control like the Epson P-2000/4000 storage viewer

- would feature OSX Lite - with basic file management and programs like Preview and Safari (Preview would allow viewing of PDF's, and iTunes would have downloads of printed manuals at a cost)

- would include iLife 06 Lite - iDVD would be eliminated, Garageband more basic as would iMovie, full iWeb, iTunes, and iPhoto. .Mac users would be able to to "link" via the net so to take advantage of full apps on the desktop Mac

- iWorks in order to do basic editing (with an update to iWorks including iSheet (for Excel users)

IMO updates to .Mac and iLife Lite, as well as OSX upgrades would help in generating profits on this idea.

I would buy one in a heart beat with the above specs (subject to change :D ) for about $1,000US.

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That would make it the cheapest tablet computer out! I don't see that kind of price mark coming from Apple any time soon, but tablet computers are great. Fully functional, easy to take notes, good item :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would love apple to make a tablet. really i want one from them. and with the feature set you said. at 1000 i would pick one up in a heartbeat, but it would more likely be double that at least. but i doubt apple will go this route, but we can keep dreaming Chip!

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind I left out the ability to write on the screen. I think that this may help big time.

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Uh....Then what is the point? Without a touch screen, a tablet is pointless...

6. mpw Guest

Crazy glue it to Steve's windsheild each night until he tires of having to scape it off each morning and produces it.

8x5 same ratio as todays iMac I think.
    BT and Airport built-in
    No keyboard, but you can of course use a BT one.
    CF and SD card slots for file transfer and expansion. Agreed
    at least a 60gb HDD for apps and storage. Agreed
    No wheel, but maybe a few buttons along the edge.
    Don't see any real advantage to parring down the OS but agree that not all the app's would need full functionality. Would almost certainly be used in addition to a desktop.
    I'd price it up to ~$1,300
    And the killer element would need to be a bright screen for outdoor use and a kick-ass stylus/input device.

Oh and maybe make it a really big smartphone.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think I would prefer an Apple Pocket sized computer than a tablet. The 12" iBook is so small, I can take that most place. If I can't a nice small pocket sized mac running a very simplified OS X (much like windows mobile) would be awesome.

8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In order to make it affordable. With a touch screen I can see a $1,500 to 2,000US price tag. There are those of us that want a lower price tag, albeit with a "little more work" in getting around.

For me I want something that is small, but with a better screen in order to read PDF's. Having full Safari capabilities wirelessly would be great! I would drop my Sprint Web access in NY minute! And with iWeb and the capabilities of my Nikon D50 making small JPG's in camera, I could be realtime with my blog.

Hell, Apple could make web access a part of the MacTablet. I am thinking more of the razor and razor blades concept here.

Also tablet may have been the wrong word to describe what I am thinking of. iPodMaxi may be a better term. Something with real computing power, but "just" falls short of the power of a real Mac or PC.

9. mpw Guest

I Would Kill Puppies for this Apple 'JasJar' OSX

Don't be fooled. It may look like a real ready for the shelf product that could've been launched last week at MWSF but it's only a doctored image. Sorry to get your hopes up.;) :eek:

10. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Heck, no. The problem seems to be that everyone has a different idea of what a tablet should be like.

This is one of the most difficult choices. Realistically, I'd like something about the size of a computer manual (think O'Reilly series) - that is approx 7x9.

Unrealistically, I'd like an A4 tablet with HD resolution. That's 8.5"x12".

Although, widescreen format would be better, which gives us 5x9 - 5.5x10 and 7x12 - 7x12.5.

I'd prefer no keyboard at all. As I have said elsewhere on these forums, a Bluetooth keyboard using a laptop keyboard component would be fine for me on a 'plane or train. I'd use the Apple Pro keyboard at work and the touchscreen wherever there isn't room for a seperate keyboard.

Nope, just a couple of ExpressCard slots. Then people can add an X-in-1 cardreader, FW800, eSATA, UWB or whatever takes their fancy.

I'd expect my spec to check in at around $2000.

11. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As mentioned, we each have our own vision of a "tablet PC/Mac". For me touch screen would be great, but not worth $500 to $1000US for my usage.

If I could, I would!!! I gave Epson $500US for the P-2000 for a portable storage device for my digital pictures. Add to that with Handbrake I am able view my videos.

The idea here is to have a "complete" solution, without many add-ons.

In planning for my European vacation next month, I have tried to live by Rick Steves' "less is more" attitude. Most European carriers limit one to 18 pounds for the carry-on luggage. And they remain silent on what is allowed as a "personal item" as to weight.

My thought on this portable device is that it would be small enough to replace our 12" PB's. That being a bit larger than the P-2000/4000, but adding OSX compatibility (and that mean iTunes), along with wireless connectivity (for web surfing and iWeb).

For me the 12" PB is too large to make the grade for European travel. Something half the size would rank well IMO.

The iPod "wheel" would replace the mouse, so that you would not have to extend the keyboard for simple use.

Pared down OSX would make it desirable for this device to be an add on to a full blow Mac. For me I would want full app functionality for those programs that I mentioned.

At that I would buy it! Heck, I spent $500 last summer on something with half the functionality with the Epson P-2000.

The screen is a given. It is being done by many camera manufactures already. The input device is something that we will argue till the cows come home....

Cell phone is something that I would like. But given the US market, I thought that such functionality would be too much to ask. IMO it would have to have the capability to work ANYWHERE in the developed world.

No problem. I am think a sliding keyboard that I have seen on other devices in order to make the unit more usable according to ones needs.

I see being able to insert a CF or SD card and have the OS automatically (or through a yes or no prompt) download the images to the device. Something like the TMobile Sidekick "kicked-up" a notch.

This is one of the reasons I hedged on the final screen size. I wanted something that was still small enough in order to have an iPod type "wheel" on the side of the display.

I am being selfish here, I do not want to carry anything extra to be able to "function" normally.

That could be for a plus model at $500 to $1000US extra, depending on the add-ons. [/QUOTE]

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

That's what the wi-fi/bluetooth is for... use wi-fi for broadband phone, and bluetooth for the headset... it would be almost perfect.

I'm not so sure that I like the tablet concept, though. Maybe its just that I'm not in a position that would take advantage of it.

13. CompUser Guest

A macBerry!

14. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Too small for what I see as the "perfect" appliance....

15. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Wow. I totally couldn't tell!! :rolleyes:

16. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I am not flaming, but why not just get an 12" iBook? The price point is similar, and the iBook would actually be running OS X, not OS X Lite. Either way, i do not see Apple building anything like this. Besides the idea of a tablet without a touch screen? I though that was the point?

One question to Chip; is it just an size issue? If so, why the need for something so small? I am just curious because personally i dont think that a 12" 'book would be too big for any setting...

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hahaha! That's the worst photoshop mockup I've ever seen...(no offense if you made it).

Wait...did you make that or find it someplace?

18. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In my case I spent 7 days in SF with only the Epson P-2000 in tow. If Epson could provide PDF capability I might not have posted. But given the iWeb app, and the likes of Nikon being able to save to a smaller JPG; why not have an appliance that could meet "general" needs.

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Attached Files:

20. mpw Guest

The sum of my creative talent, a couple of Google images, MS Paint and three minutes. Probably the most creative thing I've done with my clothes on since I made a pen holder in pottery class 15years ago!:D

21. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Agreed! I'm about ready to chuck out this Axim. It mars my setup, keeps needing a hard reset, and I just don't like it.

22. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Since Apple has not released the Tablet computer, I had to turn to Redmond WA for this. I now have a very nice Fujitsu T4020T with all the bells and whistles. I am not into MS XP (as my 4 Macs will attest); but, I admit XP Tablet Edition is a very decent program and I am taking notes with this Tablet PC now.

Even if Apple decide to jump in the Tablet market, I am not sure if Apple can get it right for the first try. MS had to tweak this for 2 or 3 years.

If you need the Tablet PC, you need to decide the convertible model (you can swivel the screen to use it as a notebook PC or as a slate mode) or true slate model. For my case, I was not ready for the pure slate model and I chose a convertible model.

23. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

i, too, would buy that in a heartbeat. instead, i'm going to buy an MBP in a few heartbeats:D

24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have tried Apple's Ink with Wacom tablet. Ink's hand writing recognition was not good. If Apple is going to use that as a base for its yet-to-be-released Tablet Mac, I will wait and see the opinions/reviews by the early adopters before I jump in.

For Tablet market, I think Apple has some catch up to do.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a mac tablet sounds like a good idea and if any company can just jump in and get it right the first time, it's apple inc

unfortunately, apple does not have a recent track record of jumping in to something at a cheaper price point...compared to major pc makers