Am I being hacked???? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Capt Underpants, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Hello all. I realize this is a mac forum and I am running windows, but this is really the only forum I post on regularly. Surely there will be someone with answers on here.

I think that I am being hacked. A couple of days ago i woke up my computer to a Norton Antivirus program that had EVERY protection service disabled. The day before this, everything was turned on. This includes email scanning, auto update, etc.

Next thing I know, I sign onto AIM and there is a message saying that someone else is logged in under my Screen name. Thew message also says that the other person looged in as me can see everything i write on AIM. So I proceed to tell him that I know he is hacking me and to stop BEFORE I BEAT HIS HEAD OFF. This gets me even more worried. The exact same thing happens under my MSN messenger account.

Now I have looked in my google toolbar previous searches and there are searches I have never made in there. Its says I searched for cheats for super monkey ball 2. I DONT EVEN OWN SUPER MONKEY BALL 2!!! What is a horn loud wristband??? Dunno, but apparently i searched for it. I also searched for blizzard safetly when it doesnt even snow where I live.

This is seriously starting to freak me out and I don't know what to do. Manitou Black seems to be a PC guy so I hope that he sees this. I've started logging in as a limited user. I have zonealarm and norton antivirus. I am thinking about hookin up the old linksys to act as a kind of firewall. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Capt Underpants

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

download a software firewall. turn on logging, and see what shows up. antivirus will do exactly nothing against hackers. download AdAware (from download.com) and scan your computer for spyware/adware. you will be surprised by the things it finds, i'll bet. these things can be huge vulnerabilities, tho they are most likely not the issue directly. Is your internet connection on all the time? if so, physically disconnect it when you're not using it, for a week or two. if you are being hacked, this may discourage the hacker... they can't access it when they want to, so they move on. but really, you have to ask yourself, what do you have that a hacker would spend their time going after? hackers don't generally target random people on the net and then spend time making their lives hell. point is, 95% of people that think they're being hacked are not. don't panic.

paul

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've got AdAware with all the recent updates. Scanned today and removed everything. I know that hackers aren't usually meanies that target individual users, but I thought think that the circumstances are weird. Yes, I do have an always on connection, and I will disconnect it when not in use (thx for that tip). I have latest updates from MS. I already have zonealarm... I really want a mac.

4. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Yes, I would get a software firewall. If this guy is good he might be able to get past it. By the way are you on a wireless network? Or do you have a computer that is on one? That is in your LAN? If you do, you could be getting wirelessly hacked. Easy to do, even if you WEP. I have done it a few times. :p Shhhhhh..... Only to my firends and we told them before we did it. So no worries.

1. I would dissconnect from the internet right away! Use 56K, he won't be able to get you on that. Try to fix your settings on the Anti-Virus. I would wipe your HD. He could have put in many hidden backdoors in by now so even if you have all the password protection in the world on you PC he could still get in. (Like having the root pass on OSX but worse.) There are many bad hacking programs for PC and I bet some arn't even phased by a software firewall. So it might not be the only solution.
    What I am tring to tell you is to delete your HD this is the ONLY way to be 100% sure that there are no hidden backdoors or some key logger running in the background that sends the ****er all your passwords or credit card numbers and every key stroke you type.

2. Once you erase your HD. Or if you don't. Be dissconnected from the internet, 56K is ok. Install the firewall, norton is good. There are others for free on the net tho, check google.
    Turn on all the settings to max, turn on logging to see what IP the guy is connecting on. Block IP ping requests, its called "stealth mode" I think in Norton.

3. Change all passwords for the computer accounts. If he has a backdoor this won't matter, just a good idea to do though.

4. Connect back onto the internet. Go about biz as usual. Keep an eye on all the firewall logs. Note any IP address trying to connect to you. Write them down and call your ISP and report it to them. You can also you a IP trace program to see what area he is in. Also see if the ISP can do anything about it on their end.

5.After all that. If it is still going on (getting hacked), I would buy a cheap hardware firewall or router. Just another thing for him to try to get through.

6. If that doesn't work. Lock your doors. Because for some reason he is really tring to come after you.

5. skymaXimus macrumors regular

No, you're not being hacked. The deal is this ... you're like the dude in Fight Club and your Brad Pitt is searching for all that stuff. And you thought you were being hacked ... ha.

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

he he

That's the Badger!:p

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

H@ckers

If you are feeling lucky, you could find the he is a she and a very Angela Jolie one at that. maybe not.

I just find it easier to engage my other brain when dealing with terror, a female serial killer hacking my computer seems infinitely more desirable than the other alternatives.:eek: :p